Chapter 34: On Hold

Marinette carried her two-day-old son across the gangplank onto the Sea Serpent.  Adrian walked past her with the overnight bags and opened her cabin door.  

"I fixed it up for Little Luka," he told her.  

The teal bassinet stood by her bed and her nightstand had been re-arranged to hold her nursing items along with a couple essential baby toys.

"Thank you, Adrian.  I honestly don't know what I'd do without you."

"Don't mention it.  You've saved my life plenty of times.  Least I can do is help you with your son."

"Oh stop it.  You died like twice.  We're more than even."

"That's b.s."

Marinette rolled her eyes.  "Tell Kagami I'll be ready in a month or two."

"That's also b.s."

"I had my child.  The doctor said I'd be up and running in a month or two."

"It's not just that.  How the hell do you plan to run off to be Ladybug with no one else to watch Luka?"

Marinette stared at him, stumped.  "Luka...he was going to keep the baby when I was Ladybug.  I didn't..."

"Well, I did.  Kagami is fine being Ladybug until you've got everything in order.  She said she doesn't want you to miss out on any of your son's first moments."

Marinette started.  "How did she know?"

Adrian winced.  "When you were akumatized.  She figured it out.  Apparently, we are the only ones who can't piece it together.  You literally transformed in front of my face before I figure out that the superhero with the constant twin-tails was the only other girl in all of Paris with constant twin-tails."

Marinette shifted Luka to her other shoulder.  "Okay, but I don't want to shirk my responsibilities for too long.  In a few months, I'll move back in with my parents for a little while under the pretense of getting my buisness back up again.  They will be more than happy to take care of him all the time and I'll be able to slip out when necessary.  You can still stay here if you want."

Adrian laughed.  "You really are a superhero, with or without the mask.  But don't rush it.  We've got it as long as you need us to.  You can trust us."

"I do, but I feel guilty for sitting back while you two protect Paris."

"Pul-lease.  You're hardly relaxing.  You just went through childbirth and are now a single mother and entrepreneur.  And with all that, you have had time to bake me cookies every day even after I told you it wasn't necessary.  And you have also always had time to give sound advice to every friend who has any problem.  You even offered to help me apply for colleges, as if you don't have enough to do.  Take a break and spend some time with your son.  If anyone else knew you were Ladybug, they would be begging you to take the time off."

"Adrian..." she sighed.  "When you put it that way..."

"Yes.  Just don't worry about anything else."  He subconsciously raised his voice.  Luka squirmed in Marinette's arms and cried.

"Oh, shut up," she hissed at the blonde, turning all her attention to her son, rocking him back to sleep.  She finally got him back to sleep laying him in the bassinet and shutting the door.

"Don't you dare wake him up, Agreste."

He chuckled softly.  "Yep, my point has been proven."

Marinette cocked an eyebrow.  "How so?"

"You dropped everything for your child.  And you threatened me.  No need to add anything else to your plate."

She sighed.  "Fine.  I'll wait until he's six months."

Adrian shook his head.

"Eight months," she conceded.

"Nope."

"Nine?"

"At least 24 months."

"Two years?"

"Yep.  Good for you, knowing how to convert months to years.  Looks like you are a mathematician."

She groaned.  "Two whole years?"

"Do you have that little faith in me and Kagami?"

"No...I just..."

"Seriously.  Kagami wouldn't have it any other way either."

She sighed with full blown histrionic cliches.  "Fine!  I'll just stand by and watch while feeling guilty for two whole years!"

He smirked.  "You just woke up Luka."

She dropped her act and ran back in for her baby.