Chapter 3: Viperion

"Please, Nathaniel," Marinette pleaded. "I know you're in there somewhere. I never meant to hurt you. But you can't trust Hawkmoth. All he's done is cause pain and destruction." She couldn't transform out of this mess, so her only hope was to stall for time until Cat Noir could rescue her.

But unfortunately, Nathaniel wouldn't listen to her.

"Marinette, I love you. I want you to love me too. I'll do anything I can to win your heart."

Anything? She thought. It was worth a try.

"You know what? There is something you can do," she began.

"Tell me! Anything!"

"Give up the Akuma. Then I'll go out with you."

Nathaniel's shoulders sagged. He looked at his pencil, as if debating it, but then the purple holographic mask re-appeared in front of his face.

"She's lying to you, Evillustrator! Don't listen to her! Remember last time, she tricked you and teamed up with Cat Noir!"

He looked down at the pencil and up at Marinette. He seemed genuinely torn.

"She might actually pull it off," Viperion whispered from their hiding spot. Cat Noir nodded.

"If anyone could, she could. She and Ladybug."

Luka chuckled. "Yeah. I saw the news footage of the Dark Cupid event."

Cat Noir looked confused. "I still don't know what happened."

Viperion looked at him, surprised. "I'll tell you later," he whispered. "Now let's save Marinette."

Cat looked around and analyzed the situation. Nathaniel had created a couple of large beautiful azalea bushes near where Marinette was tied. That would provide excellent cover to get to her. "Okay. Here's the plan: I'll distract him while you sneak around to free her. Use the bushes. He doesn't know about you yet, so that gives us the advantage. Then get her out of here."

Viperion nodded. "But don't think I'm going to let you have all the fun. I'm coming back once she's safe."

Cat smirked. They would make a great team.

"Nathaniel, please!" Marinette pleaded. "You were my friend before you were akumatized, but now I hardly know you!"

He laughed. "But I am freer to be myself now than I was before! This is the real me!"

"No, it's..." she began, but was interrupted by the famous, pun-slinging Cat Noir.

"Hey Doodles!" he shouted. "Why don't you draw a box of tissues and cry out your heartbreak! Face it: she loves someone else and she'll never love you!"

"Cat!" Marinette shouted. "Stop it, you'll make him angry!"

Her voice caught his attention and he looked back to see Luka sneaking up behind her. Before he could react, Luka used his power. "Second Chance!" he shouted, rewinding to the point when Cat jumped up on the balcony.

"Hey, Doodles!"

This time, Luka didn't hesitate. He quickly ran up behind her and covered her mouth. Before she could scream, he stepped in front of her and gave her a reassuring smile. Her face visibly relaxed. He slipped back out of sight and carefully and silently worked the rope loose. Then he sneaked around the pole and picked up Marinette.

He glanced back at Cat who was keeping up the banter and keeping Evillustrator's back turned. He winked at Cat and jumped away. They settled on a nearby rooftop and looked back towards the Eiffel Tower. Cat still had Nathaniel's undivided attention and the escapade had gone unnoticed.

"Marinette, we need to get you to safety. Once I take care of you, I have to go back to fight. Where should I take you?"

Marinette was too distracted to register it all. Cat Noir had given a miraculous to someone. Cat Noir knew about Master Fu. Maybe his kwami had guided him. But who was the holder? She looked back up at his face, registering the dark earrings and the blue-tipped hair. But the give away was his voice. The inflections and tone matched the declaration of love she had memorized a while back. And his smile. The dimple, the sparkling eyes, the same smile from this morning.

"Luka?" she asked.

He flushed. "What? No...I..." he looked down, dejected. "If I'm that obvious, I guess I can't do this again."

She smiled. "No. It was your tone. The way you talk to me. Only Luka has spoken to me with that tone. So unless you've sweet-talked anyone else, I doubt anyone would put it together."

He laughed, somewhat relieved. "Nope, you're the only one. I love you."

She kissed him quickly on the cheek. "I love you too. Now go get 'em!"

He grabbed her hand and kissed it. "A tout a l'heure, ma cherie!" (See you later, my dear)

Then he leaped away. Marinette stared after him, sighing.

"Marinette, wake up! You've got a job to do!" Tikki shouted.

She blinked a couple of times. "Oh, uh...yeah! Spots on!" She grabbed her yo-yo and swung after him.