Chapter 39: Blushing

"Miraculous Ladybug!" she shouted, throwing her lucky charm in the air. She didn't stick around to chat. Celene's mother was taking care of her.

She dashed back to the bakery. Her transformation wore off slightly after she shut the door behind her. Cat Noir came running at her, holding Luka. She caught her partner and son in a huge hug, nearly knocking him off his feet.

"Marinette," he breathed.

"Mommy," Luka said. "Why were you wearing the wed fing?"

Marinette laughed and Cat Noir bopped his nose. "Your mommy's a superhero, but you can't tell anyone."

"Ok, Adwian."

He looked at Marinette and she sighed. "I'm just glad you're all right, kitty."

"Thank you. I owe you my life, Marinette."

"And I owe you mine. Let's not go down this again."

"No, it's more than that...I don't know how to..."

Marinette's parents appeared in the doorway. "He actually died, Marinette."

She gasped. "You...Chat..."

He hugged her again. "But you brought me back. Thank you."

Marinette's lip quivered and tears formed in her eyes. "Then why is Luka still gone?!?"

Sabine gasped. Cat Noir's eyes widened and then fell, leaking a tear down his cheek.

"I don't know."

Tikki emerged from hiding. "I do."

"Whatssat?" Luka gasped.

"The miraculous ladybugs can only fix supernatural damage or damage caused by another miraculous."

Marinette took Luka and hugged him close.

Cat Noir put his arm around her shoulders and guided her up to her room. "I'll see you tomorrow, m'lady. Thank you."

He leaned over and kissed her cheek before leaping out the trapdoor.

"Mommy, why's your face all wed?"

Cat Noir landed on the deck of the Sea Serpent which Marinette had given him for the time being. She insisted it was as much his as hers, but he insisted on paying her for it. She was stubborn, but he was sly. He was pretty sure she still hadn't noticed the 10 thousand euro increase in her bank account.

"Claws in."

Plagg got in his grill immediately, literally and figuratively.

"What was that?"

"What, Plagg?"

"You kissed her."

Adrian blushed. "Y-yeah...I did, didn't I?"

Plagg facepalmed. "Don't tell me wittle Adwian's in wuuuuv again," he joked.

Adrian swatted at the sarcastic kwami. "She was married, Plagg."

"Key word: 'was'. Now she's a widow."

"Plagg, don't be insensitive. Luka was my friend too and I miss him almost as much as she does. Also, she obviously still loves him."

"And she's obviously falling for you again too."

"What?!?"

"Did you not see how red her face got after you kissed her?"

"Um...no?"

"Gah!" he through his hands (arms? whatever) up in the air. "Some things will absolutely never change!"

"Plagg..."

"You're BLIND! So blind! Always have been, always will be."

Marinette stared at the ceiling for hours. Long after Little Luka had fallen asleep, she was awake, her thoughts tumbling around with her emotions and getting lost.

"Marinette," a soft voice said. She turned over to see Luka standing next to her.

"L-Luka?"

"Shhh, it's just a dream. Don't worry."

"I'm sorry, I'm really confused and I feel guilty and..."

He smiled. "It's fine, Marinette. It really is. I was honestly jealous at times of the great bond you had with him."

"Wh-what?"

"Perfect, platonic, friendly, no strings attached. Happy."

"Luka, you're going too fast. What are you saying?"

"I'm saying you should be happy. I won't have a problem with anything that comes between you and your happiness." He walked over to the little trundle bed and looked at his son.

"Daddy," Little Luka murmured.

"He's getting big, isn't he?" Luka mused.

Marinette smiled. "Yeah. He looks just like you."

"I don't know, I think he has your smile."

"He's definitely got your intuition. He's a smart one."

"Now, that's you too, Marinette. Salutatorian of your class? You're one smart cookie."

"That's different. I was book smart. He's got a people-y intuition."

"Ahem, Ladybug, who always knows exactly what to do in every situation and exactly what to say to the poor akumatized victims. Don't tell me anything."

She rolled her eyes. "Luka..."

He walked back over to her and hugged her. In the dream, she could definitely feel his warm touch and his breath on her hair.

"Marinette, you can't hurt me. As long as you're happy, I'm happy. I promise."

She flitted off to dreamless slumber.

Adrian tossed and turned restlessly. Plagg was sound asleep.

I can't believe I did that, he thought, over and over. How could I do something like that?

"Wow," said a voice. He sat up, locking eyes with Luka who was leaning against the door. "And I thought Marinette would feel more guilty about that situation."

"Luka?"

"Hi. You're asleep."

"Oh, ok. Listen, I don't..."

"Adrian, calm down."

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Um...kissing your wife?"

Luka sighed. "You're awfully thick, Agreste, you know?"

"Sorry?"

"The vow is 'until death do us part'. And in case you didn't know, I'm dead."

"But..."

"Look, I told Marinette I just want her to be happy. She isn't sure what the hell I was talking about, but I think you know. She's back to confusion. She doesn't know if she's in love or just awkward about that happening in front of her toddler."

"Oh...whoops."

"Yeah, be mindful of your audience."

"But I'm not...I don't think I am..."

"In love?"

"Yeah."

Luka sighed. "Ok. That's fine. Just remember what I said. K?"

Adrian nodded.

"And one more thing: Don't you dare hurt her. I will haunt you. And you don't want to see that."

"I would never hurt her!"

"I was partially joking. You're a good man, Adrian."

The sun came through the window, and Adrian realized he was awake. Luka was only a memory.