Chapter 11: Internships and Cold Shoulders

Amelia's POV:

I felt jittery.

My nerves were all over the place as Damien pulled up in the hospital's parking lot.

"Amelia, calm down, baby, I'm always around, and I'm the one giving you the tasks for the most part, don't worry." Damien touched my hands softly.

"I won't do anything wrong?" I asked, my voice barely coming out.

"No, baby, you wont." He assured. "Now let's go, we don't want to be late."

I nodded, taking in a deep breath.

I was nervous for multiple reasons, but the most domineering reasons for my jitters were my fear of messing something up, and knowing that - for the first time ever - I was going to see a completely different side of Damien.

I wasn't sure what to expect him to be like at work, around his colleagues and around patients, but mostly I was afraid of how he'd treat me there. The thought of him being harsh, cold and unphased towards me sent a wave of sadness through me. I knew I wasn't allowed to touch him or show any sort of emotions outside his apartment, and it was getting tedious; awfully tedious because I was finding a hard time in switching my feelings on and off with the click of a button.

"You know how to behave." Damien murmured as we stood in front of the automatic hospital glass doors. As much as I sometimes loved routine and reiteration of expressions; I despised this particular one.

Damien greeted the receptionist, and told her that I was Noah's daughter here for the internship. The receptionist was old and kind, she wished me luck, and told me to go to the locker rooms to retrieve my scrubs.

Damien said he'd guide me there, and I was back on silent mode, just merely nodding, shaking my head and smiling lightly.

I wasn't sure why I always cower back into myself when people are around; I thought I was getting better around people after I started being with Damien, but it seems as if I still have a long shot.

Damien was silent too, even though we were alone in the locker room, he barely spoke to me. My throat felt parched all of a sudden, and I swallowed almost difficultly to soothe the slight ache that resided there.

"I think those should be your size." He said, handing me a set of scrubs which looked freshly new.

I nodded, taking them from him.

He turned, gave me his back and started shedding his clothes off. I didn't want to stare at him, and it didn't feel right, right now. I went to one of the changing rooms and locked myself inside.

This wasn't the start I anticipated, I felt apprehensive of everything and Damien's attitude wasn't really helping ease my nerves. I was frustrated with myself too because I desperately felt like cowering into a corner and huddling up.

"Amelia." Damien knocked on the door softly, breaking me out of my reviere.

"I'm sorry, just- just give me a uh- a second." I was stumbling on my own words and I wanted to slam my head against the nearest wall.

I quickly changed into the navy blue scrubs and folded my clothes into a neat small heap.

I saw Damien waiting for me patiently by his locker, offering a strained minuscule smile when I came into his view.

He was taking the heap from my hands to place them neatly atop his clothes in his locker when a woman walked in.

She was beautiful in every sense, and my desire to cower into a corner multiplied.