Chapter 14: I Know What I'm Doing

Amelia's POV:

I spent the day running to and from the blood bank attending to Damien's incessant orders. It almost felt as if he was intentionally sending me away, and I wasn't sure how to register that. I knew I couldn't blatantly call him out for it because I knew Damien; he'd yell at me for it - claiming that it was all in my head. My head lately had been reeling with thoughts, conspiracies and what ifs.

I walked into his office, he was sat behind his desk going through some files, his focus zeroed in on the task at hand not giving me a single glance even. I wasn't sure if he was insane, delusional or extremely forgetful because just a mere week ago he swore by his love to me, and the fact that he desperately needed me by his side.

I - too - didn't speak even though every fibre in my being was desperate to; wanting him to glance at me, recognize me.

I laid down on the leather couch, feeling my shirt riding slightly upwards exposing a part of my midriff, and from the corner of my eyes, I saw him taking a quick glance.

My heart started beating arrhythmically in my chest, and unlike how I'd generally react; I didn't pull my shirt down, I kept it hitched.

I gazed at him from the corner of my eyes, he was pretending to be nonchalant, but I've spent endless hours reading him; he was a rather too large textbook, but I was halfway through, and I knew the look on his face now all too well.

"I could take my shirt off if you'd like." I teased, quoting his own words. I knew I was stirring something deep inside of him, and it made me feel beautiful, bold, and youthful.

Damien loved my youth.

"Do it." He said, his tone taking on a more demanding tinge, and I gulped because the intensity in his eyes told me that he wasn't bluffing.

Damien rested his back fully on his large leather chair, crossing his arms in front of his chest with a raised eyebrow that dared me to defy him.

I wasn't sure what was wrong with him. He wasn't being himself, and ever since the day we almost got caught, I couldn't take the thoughts of him being a liar out of my head; the way the lies rolled off his tongue so expertly scared me because a minuscule part of me was shaken to the very core by the thought of what if everything he told me was also a lie.

"Why aren't you taking your shirt off now?" He asked, his tone unabating, and my nerves intensified. I wasn't sure if Damien had a thing for being scandalous when the chances of us being caught were high or not because he was being awfully irrational.

"We're at the hospital Damien, my dad's office is right next to yours." I replied, my voice hushed because I was afraid anyone passing by would accidentally catch a word of our conversation, but Damien on the other hand didn't seem to mind at all.

He got up, and I instinctively tried to as well,
"don't move." And I didn't.

I seemed to always halt mid-action whenever he spoke in a particular tone, and he used that same tone on me right now.

Damien slowly lowered himself to his knees -now - sat on the floor opposite to me; our eyes locked as he carried out every motion.

"What are you doing?" I whispered, gazing at him through my lashes.

"You drive me insane, Amelia." He husked, his hands now slowly moving to touch my skin.

I tsk-tsked, taking his hand in mine. "It's not easy access."

He raised an eyebrow, chuckling slightly. Our eyes challengingly staring into the other, but I already knew beforehand that Damien always wins those challenges.