6

The rest of the week was filled with more activities, long conversations, good food, and sex. Todoroki had never felt so shameless and hoped that none of the servants noticed them. Bakugo assured him he had everything under control even if they saw them. His servants were apparently very tight lipped.

Todoroki was incredibly sad when he left and felt cold loneliness of his own castle, like it wasn't his home anymore. It was another two weeks before he went back to Bakugo's kingdom and each second in his own was dreadful.

His eldest brother was never available because of his kingship. The second oldest was off in another country for business. He had left around the same time as Todoroki and wouldn't be back for months. His sister was constantly meeting suitors because everyone was interested in their wealth, so Todoroki was left to his own devices.

It was then that he realized they had all grown up and this was natural. It was already abnormal for his sister not to be married off and his others siblings to assume some responsibility. Todoroki wondered what he could do and was then reminded of all the lessons his father taught him.

They weren't anything he could use at his current standpoint. They were lessons for a king and Todoroki was not the king. His brother was. He was a fool to think his father would let him take the throne when the eldest always did.

So, instead, Todoroki met with Bakugo. His stay would last a week and they were already planning when he would next come down. Everyday with him was thrilling and Todoroki couldn't help but fall more and more in love with him.

Todoroki couldn't ask for anything more. It was the dream and the unconditional love he had always hoped to obtain. He might just get that happily ever after he desired.

"—and then, of course, here," Todoroki finished."What about you, Katsuki? Where have you gone?"

The two of them lied in bed together after another passionate night. They seemed to do it a lot recently and Todoroki enjoyed it. He loved how afterwards Bakugo would hold him like he was, running his hands through his hair and letting his warmth encapsulate him.

Bakugo chuckled."I can barely remember that shit. Ever since I became King, I've been all over the world establishing alliances, finding trade routes, and attending gatherings. It's all just a fucking blur at this point."

Todoroki hummed, burying himself further into Bakugo. He hesitated to speak but did so anyways."How was it, becoming King? Was it-" He stopped himself.

"Just say it," Bakugo growled.

"Is it hard?" Todoroki asked."Having all these lives in your hands. Did you ever want to just give it all up?"

"Give it up to who?" Bakugo questioned, catching Todoroki off guard."My situation is different from your kingdoms. If I give up the throne, then I will have no heir to take my place. I have no one of the same blood to follow in my footsteps. That is how I became King in the first place. Through the death of my family, I gained the power to control land and people like they are nothing but utensils used to cut into expensive meat."

"Is that really what commoners are? Just silverware?" Todoroki asked, growing sad. He didn't like how people with little coin in their pocket could just be tossed aside like rusty tools.

"It depends on who you ask," Bakugo explained softly."I'm sure your father taught you all about the pyramid of which we live. I would've been interested to see what kind of King he shaped you to become."

Todoroki stayed silent, inwardly cringing. He didn't want to think about his home or his father or who currently sat on the throne.

"You asked me if it was hard to be a King, and I'll answer you truthfully. Being a King is hard, just like all things are in life. But if you think simpler and don't mull over all the people's lives you have in the palm of your hand, kingship is just like any other job. If you are trained properly, you will do well, but only you can push yourself to be the best by your own standards.

"But, unlike most jobs which require detachment, the job of a King requires all your feelings and morals. A good King can be a selfish King. A bad King can be kind-natured. Feelings and intellect must work together in harmony to create a King. That's why background is key. If you are raised by a bad King, you are likely to become a bad King yourself. In part, if you are raised by no King, how can you even know what a good King or a bad King is?

"This is why kingship would come easy to you, Shoto. Your father was an excellent King. He had a rough beginning but slowly listened to his people and sought what they needed. He was selfish as well as kindhearted, as you are. I've heard of how your father trained you, so I know that you would also become an excellent King. I only wish I could've seen it."

Todoroki closed his eyes. He almost felt like crying. He allowed himself to become selfish for once and wondered why he didn't become King. His father had groomed him for the role and had paid minimal attention to his other siblings. He saw something in him that he didn't see in the others, yet why he let Touya become King?

"I wish I could've become King," Todoroki whispered, voice cracking."Why wasn't it me, Katsuki? Did I do something wrong?"

Bakugo smiled, no, grinned. He pet Todoroki's hair soothingly."You did nothing wrong, Shoto. I, as well as the rest of the world, believe you should've been King. I can't for the life of me figure out why he didn't let you become King."

"I just wish there was some way I could figure out what he was thinking and why he did this to me!" Todoroki sighed, running a hand over his face.

There was a bit of silence before Bakugo spoke, like he was figuring out some way to calm or help Todoroki."I don't know if this will help you any, but all kings have scribes who keep documents for them about all their dealings and various legal documents which need to be recorded. I'm sure your fathers records will be stored some place in the castle."

"Ah, yes, I know where all the records are kept."

"I'm sure even his will resides there, if you would like to scrutinize it in further detail. I'm sure after his passing it was just read out to you. People tend to skip the trivial words and get right to the inheritance. Perhaps there you will find something pertaining to your kingship."

A hope blossomed inside Todoroki at Bakugo's words. He felt like he might finally understand what his father was really thinking if he were to look at his will. Maybe there he would finally find all the answers.

"Thank you, Katsuki." Todoroki let out a small chuckle."It seems like you always know what to say to me."

"Of course." Bakugo leaned over, kissing the top of his head."I wouldn't be your lover if I didn't."