9

The open house event in the Todoroki castle was a glorious event. It was nothing like the coronation ceremony in numbers, but it held the same festive air and many important figures came to the event.

The party always occurred 2 months after a new King was crowned and was—in its simplest terms—a way for a new King to flourish his wealth. Flexing their wealth was always number one for a King, and it let others know that they should stay in good relations with them.

It was a perfect time of year, so the party was held in a mix between outdoors and indoors. The Todoroki Kingdom's gardens were a thing of beauty that people loved to admire and the indoors held painting and other works of art from the new Kings travels which people envied. Guests simply walked around, enjoying the pieces and mingling with others. The goal, as was at most parties, was to get a word in with the King and establish other relations.

And so after a couple hours of dabbling around, dinner was served. Some of the most expensive and exotic dishes were made up and consumed. Meats and finery from all around the world made guests eyes glitter with delight and turned them into slob-like pigs. The Todoroki's always had the greatest foods, so it was typically the things guests looked forward to the most.

But for King Bakugo, the fish of his hometown would always be the best meal. And for the young prince, something substantial and energizing was better than any caviar. Their distaste was masked to the face of the public and the meal went on in a grandiose fashion.

The king was a sight in his beautiful foreign robes. His skin glistened and was baby smooth from not a day of hard work or battle. He knew how to sway people and show kindness in its simplest forms. Though not having been raised by his father, he was fairing well. But that wouldn't last for long.

Once the night waned on and wine glasses became empty, young prince Todoroki stood to attention, instantly becoming a prominent figure in the room. It was too late for a toast, so the guests wondered what he could possibly have to say.

A swift hush filled the room and those who were still talking were shushed into silence as the prince made his way to the front, addressing everyone.

"People of the court, Dukes and Duchesses, Kings and Queens, I thank you for coming tonight to enjoy these festivities my lovely brother has put together. However, I stand before you here today with dampening news."

Every eye was now trained on the usually stoic and short-worded prince, hanging on his every word and waiting for what he had to say.

"Many of you in the kingdom and many outside expected me to become king. It is no secret that my father took a liking to me and trained me to take his place, yet I did not become king. That task was placed onto my eldest brother as is custom in most kingdoms. I will not deny it: I was furious with my fathers decision.

"But since then, I humbled and accepted my fathers dying will. I love my brother dearly and prayed for his success, but why do I still have this sour taste in my mouth, I wondered? Was I so bad of a brother that I couldn't congratulate my brother on his coronation?

"These feelings of jealously running deep inside me must be squashed, so I sought out my fathers last words in hopes of gaining some kind of solace. My hopes were met with despair when I discovered the truth behind my fathers will. I will read to you now the words my late father left me."

Todoroki took out his father will, holding it up so everyone could see and reading from its text.

"In light of past events, my youngest son, Todoroki Shoto, will become King of the Salvo Kingdom after my passing."

Breaths hitched and eyes widened as the young prince spoke. The people of the court were utterly astonished at what they heard.

Prince Todoroki, with a newfound anger and righteousness, turned the will around and held it up high for everyone to see."I was cheated!" he yelled powerfully, blowing everyone away."This kingdom has been filled with lies and I demand retribution for the kingship which I have been robbed from! Do not think I will simply step down and let such a slight pass! This vile trickery and backhanded evil will not be overruled on my watch! I demand justice!"

Murmurs started amongst the guests. They increased in size as Todoroki finished shouting to them. None of them were against Todoroki, but most of them were skeptical of the situation. Amongst the Todoroki siblings, Shoto was always a favorite and expected to become king. So, it was natural for the people to begin to side with the prince when such information was presented.

"How could we possibly know such a claim is real?! You could've forged it!" a voice shouted and the court turned into another frenzy of shouts and whispered discussions.

The prince himself looked slightly distraught, not expecting such an outburst. He felt all the guests were going to be on his side so it threw him off. Quickly, he composed himself and kept his face stone cold.

"Is there anyone certified to check the authenticity of my fathers will?!" Todoroki addressed the audience."If so, please speak up now!"

Silence filled the court as they waited for someone to step up. A hand was then raised high, body following it upwards, and addressing the King, the man spoke."I am a certified scribe from the House of Utsushimi. I can check the authenticity of the document."

"Very well," Todoroki nodded to him with little hesitance."Then come forth and inspect it."

The scribe did as asked, coming up to the front and taking out his spyglasses along with a small magnifying glass. In front of everyone, he began to scrutinize the documents with a practiced eye.

The court practically held their breaths and a heavy tension was felt between the new King and young Prince. They held each others eyes as the scribe went on, not saying a word but the tension was thick enough.

It was not one of sibling love anymore, but betrayal.

"It..." the scribe began, gulping thickly on a dry throat."It's...It's real!"

The court erupted into chaos, yet the two brothers didn't stop staring at one another. From the sidelines, Bakugo smirked.

===

After everything settled down and guests dispersed, Bakugo met up with Todoroki as he talked to people outside the dining hall. The other noticed him, dismissing his previous conversation to meet with Bakugo.

The other discreetly clasped his hand, a fleeting touch before quickly putting his hand away."You did great out there, Prince Todoroki. Your courage to go against your brother was inspiring."

"Thank you, King Bakugo," Todoroki bowed his head slightly."Though I feel conflicted. I'm not sure what to do next..."

"Keep your head up." Bakugo pat his shoulder and Todoroki looked up at him, desperation and a lost look in his eyes. Bakugo reveled in it."Things will naturally move forward. There is nothing to do now but wait and respond when necessary."

Todoroki."Yes, of course. Thank you, King Bakugo. Thank you for everything you've done and everything you will do for me."

"You're quite welcome," Bakugo grinned."Just be sure not to forget about me in all this madness."

Todoroki gave him a small smile back."There's no way I could."

With a small, silent squeeze of his hand, Bakugo left Todoroki to retire for the night. It was a long day.

Todoroki stayed, dealing with a few more people until the man of the hour came walking past with a guard on either side of him.

Touya glanced at his younger brother and the other stared back at him."You're making a mistake, little brother."

Todoroki glared at him."You were the one foolish enough to pull this stunt, Touya. Now it's time to pay the price for your betrayal."

Touya turned forward and Todoroki refused to look at him again as the guards took him away.