CHAPTER SIX

JEKYLL AND HYDE

" Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jim Hendrix

        I walk out of the classroom with a new vibe. I feel elevated and proud. I did it. I answered a nerd question! I feel wall's tumble down inside me, slowly destroying them from when I built them as a cover. It feels nice. It feels free.

        " So, you are a smarty pants. You can only know the answer to those questions if you've studied throughout the semester." Miles says. He doesn't have a backpack on, so he just walks with his hands in his pockets with his own personal swagger.

        " What, you had doubts, greaser?" I tease him.

        " Well, after you went and told the whole crowd that I live in a mobile home and pay for my lunch by selling people drugs, then, yes, I had my doubts."

        Oh, yeah I forgot about that. It was near the last month of school. Serena was being particularly rude, and I remember in order to climb the social ladder, I had to drop the extra weight.

        So I told everyone Miles' darkest secrets which he told me in confidence. After that he hid in his jackets and sweaters. Hence his nickname.

        " I have no excuse or a good enough reason to explain why I did that. I- I only apologize for the way I acted. And I know that- that an apology is practically garbage, it's just-"

        " Took you long enough." He states. He doesn't look at me, but he smiles. We make it to his locker, and he looks at me.

        " Look, I gave up caring about that long ago. You don't need to worry about having another arch nemesis coming back for revenge. Though, some of my friends hates your guts."

        " It's either hate me or love me." I say, hoping it will get a laugh out of him. And luckily it does.

        " Unless there is a little gray area. I mean, you don't hate me, do you?" I ask him, and I genuinely mean it. I would hate for an actual true friend to hate me.

        The real me, anyway.

        He takes a couple of seconds, contemplating it.

        " No. I mean, we were only good friends in the 9th grade and after that, nothing. So I mean, if you want to be friends still, I wouldn't mind by any means, but..."

        " It's okay if you don't trust me. I get it, I've been a jerk, to everyone. Even my own brother. It's just... I don't know what's going on with me." Miles chuckles.

        " No, I get it. I mean for a while, I despised you and all of your holiness, but after a while, I understood why you did it. I was just hoping you'll coming around. Maybe waiting for you to hit your head and wake up from your creepy, princess reality."

        " I actually did hit my head, and I'm pretty sure I have a mild concussion. Curbs are a serious blow to the head." I say quickly. Miles laughs and we walk down the hallway to our next class.

        I feel someone grab my forearm and whip me around. I see my boyfriend, and my supposedly best friend giving me the stink eye.