Juliet

I sit in the corner of the bathroom as I wait for Devon's mom to come pick me up.

She wants to take me to the hospital so we can see him before..before anything changes.

Sobs rack my entire body and I choke back a cry, remembering the pain that crossed his face as he ran from the classroom. He looked so betrayed. So depressed.

And now he was dying alone. In a coma. And I was here crying because I was loosing what was never mine to begin with.

I stared numbly at the wall for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, the intercom crackled to life and my name was called. I stood and grabbed my bag, swiping my hand across my cheeks and walking quickly out of the bathroom.

I trudge down the hall, trying not to feel. I focus on my feet and my steps. One foot I'm front of the other.

I finally make it to the office and I see Devon's mom, Carla, standing there. She doesn't see me yet, so I stop and look at her, trying to see if there's any hope in her eyes.

There isn't.

A tear slips down my face and I walk into the office. She looks up at me and tears drip down her face.

She opens her arms for a hug and I step into them, crying uncontrollably.

I sag in her embrace and just grasp her arms, desperately hoping that this will all just go away.

But it won't. I pull away and nod, and together we walk to the car.