Chapter 16 - Aelin

Aelin poked through her wardrobe. Dress was very important. It presented image.

Did she want to wear flaming orange, in honor of her powers? Green and silver, for Terrasen? Or the black dress with the gold lacing that reminded her so much of that dress she wore to Arobynn's?

Feyre knocked on the door, slipping inside. "Can't figure out what to wear?" she asked.

Aelin nodded. "I like those three," she said, indicating the black, green, and orange dresses.

"It's your choice. I won't help you here, but I can tell you I'm wearing a redesigned version of my Starfall one," Feyre smiled.

Aelin looked over the three dresses again, and her eyes strayed back to the black one. "That one," she announced.

Feyre looked at it. "A flame lighting up the darkness."

Aelin nodded, but winced slightly. "I wore something like this once before," she admitted.

Feyre winced, hands straying to tuck in her hair. "The one you wore to Arobynn's?" she guessed.

Aelin nodded. "Strong, imposing, trickery, Rowan... Where could I go wrong?"

Feyre laughed. "I feel you."

Aelin glanced at her.. Friend. Feyre was her friend. "Why did you really come here? It wasn't to gossip about clothing."

Feyre sighed. "It's just that.... Tamlin will be there." She blurted.

Aelin winced. "He finally said yes?"

Feyre nodded. "It'll be my first time seeing him since... since I left the manor. And now Rhysand's my mate and..." she took a breath. "He swore me in as his the night after we figured out the prophecy. Everyone's known but you because Rhys is overprotective."

Aelin hugged her friend. "Territorial Fae bastards," she whispered in Feyre's ear, before sobering slightly. "Whatever Tamlin does, it can't be worse than being denied the right to your throne."

Feyre gave her a sad smile. "You're right. My place and my family are here, his opinion shouldn't matter to me."

"But it does?" Aelin asked, grinning. "That's why I hide all my plans. And, of course, to shock them enough to stop their hearts."

Feyre laughed. Now, she too was grinning. "You're right. I'll use it to stop his heart."

"Better get dressed." Aelin whispered. "Stop your mate's heart like I have done to mine."

Fifteen minutes later, Aelin was using golden wing combs to pin up her hair. The combs had just appeared on her dressing table, as if Rhysand or Feyre had decided to help her dress the same as the night at Arobynn's. Probably the latter.

Aelin smiled as she admired herself in the mirror. The long black dress, golden wing combs, and simple makeup made her look exactly like she wanted. Like the fire breathing b:tch queen she really was.

Except, she had shifted to her human form. Aelin wanted the High Lords to know that one did not have to be Fae or powerful (even though she was) to be a danger.

And, of course, this form made it so that she was less likely to burn the entire room to cinders, given she couldn't access her magic.

Aelin carefully picked her way through her room, sliding her feet into the golden flats she had picked out to go with the dress.

Gods, she looked just as she had that night. That night had changed everything for her. Arobynn had been the last chains preventing her from being Aelin.