Epilogue

Rowan immediately knew something was off when Aelin ran away. He thought nothing of it though, maybe she had just seen someone who needed help or something.

The excuse even sounded dumb.

It was only a couple of minutes later when their mating bond burst into pain. Rowan screamed, but continued to fight as he realized it was not dying pain, it was his mate's using too much magic again pain.

Wait.... Where's the firestorm? If Aelin was draining her powers, then he should be able to see the flames licking the horizon.

Suddenly, Rowan realized what she was doing. What, exactly, his mate had come here to sacrifice her life for.

Sh*t. Rowan shifted, following the pull in his gut to his mate. He knew he should have questioned Aelin's motives both in coming here and in running away from the battle. She never runs away from battle.

Suddenly, a dark blast radiated from a rocky outcropping ahead of him. Rowan watched through his hawk eyes in shock as the blast killed over half of Orcus's army, completely decimating the rocky structure it had originated from.

Suddenly, Rowan realized that he couldn't feel the mating bond. It didn't hurt like the first time, it was just gone.

Gone.

Rowan hastily swooped towards the rubble. Two young women lay there, bruised, chests not moving.

His heart died as he recognized them as Feyre and Aelin.

He shifted back to Fae quickly, feeling desperately for his mate's pulse. Seconds later, Rhysand landed beside him.

Both males started taking gasping breaths when the minutes passed and they couldn't find a pulse.

Rowan's vision started to distort and he thought he might pass out. His fingers scrambled, searching and searching, as the world seemed to bend around the couple.

Rowan's vision cleared, but he was too focused on finding his mate's pulse to notice his surroundings.

Too focused on the pulse that suddenly started, strong and sure, beneath his fingers.

"Rowan!" Aedion yelled. Wait, Aedion?

Rowan looked up. And around. He was kneeling on the battlements of Orynth. There was no Valg army in sight.

And as Rowan helped his queen sit up, Aedion explained that the Valg army had suddenly vanished with their leaders.

The war was over.

The war was over.

And slowly, surely, Erilea began to rebuild. Fae returned from hiding, kingdoms started to thrive again. Orynth was rebuilt, the Witch Kingdom reconstituted.

Dorian and Manon married, as well as Elide and Lorcan and Aedion and Lysandra.

A century passed, Dorian, Aedion, and Lysandra all dying at a ripe old age. Their children surrounded them, growing strong and wise.

Erilea prospered.

Aelin and Rowan had been in the library when an old book friend had popped up.

They immediately summoned Manon and the cadre. To visit old friend, they said.

But as Aelin and her remaining court stepped through the portal to the Night Court, she just hoped that Prythian had prospered as much as Erilea.

-- Rhysand's P.O.V. --

Feyre's dead. I could feel Rowan sobbing beside me over his own mate, but I was too focused on the gorgeous brunette before me.

My High Lady had given her life to seal the Wyrdkeys back into the Wyrdgate.

Suddenly, the non-existent pulse in Feyre's neck sprang to life. I looked down to see my mate smiling up at me, eyes open.

"Feyre!" I sobbed. She smiled tiredly up at me.

"What happened?" I looked around. The Cauldron was gone, as was all of Hybern's army, and Aelin and Rowan

Something about sealing the Wyrdkeys back into the Wyrdgate must have banished everyone back to their original realm, given Aelin, Rowan, and the Valg army were the only not indigenous beings.

Which meant the war was over.

Somehow, Amren's death was thankfully the only major casualty.

She died valiantly, giving up her life to give Aelin and Feyre time to seal the Wyrdkeys.

We all cried for days.

But, slowly, the world moved on, and Prythian began to revive.

All the courts (even the Spring Court) made peace. My court rebuilt.

Feyre and I had kids, Azriel and Elain finally married, as did Lucien and Vassa. Cauldron, even Nesta and Cassian eventually mated.

A century passed, life settling into a routine of happiness and peace.

One day, out of the blue, a portal appeared in the Illyrian steppes.

I grinned, winnowing to introduce my children to our friends from Terrasen.

-- Amren's P.O.V --

I had suspected for a while, but when the man held his sword to Aelin's throat I knew what I had to do.

I knew that I was the Queen of Old - Rhiannon - and Lady of new - Rhysand's second - and that it was my life the Lock required.

The Yielding, while destroying over half of Orcus's army, also provided most of the power and the life sacrifice required to seal the Wyrdkeys into the Wyrdgate.

This was the reason the gods had spared me the day the Witch kingdom fell, and I felt at peace as I accepted my destiny and Yielded.

I had lived over 7,000 years, and had lovers and friends and family. I had ruled a kingdom and championed a court. I had traveled interdimensionally.

Perhaps it was good I came to a final, peaceful, end.