Prologue

The man ran down the dank, pitch-black ally. Thoughts rushed through his mind too fast for him to even register. His legs carried him on pure instinct, his breath ragged as he turned the corner of the ally, the only way he could go was deeper into the ally ways. If he went out, he was a deadman. He then heard a car crash violently into the ally walls where he had come from. They had to run, that was all he could do, but his legs came to an abrupt halt. "You really are quite stubborn, aren't you, Wast?" The high pitched coarse voice echoed from in front of him.

         Wast tried to catch his breath. After a long silence, Wast finally responded, "Heh, I guess it's my nature." Wast faked a smile.

            "A rather bothersome nature, I might add," The voice let out an irritated sigh. "I really am not asking for much of you, just a little travel service." 

            "And why would I help a monster like you," Wast asked, slowly reaching towards his back pocket. 

           "Monster, really? Just cause we don't look the part doesn't mean we aren't just as human as the rest," The voice acted as it was genuinely hurt but then dropped its act and answered the question, "Well, there's always your life, and those children you are oh so fond of." 

           "You won't be able to hurt them, trust me. Also, about my life, I've been through way worse than death, so bring it on, you runt," Wast said quickly, grabbing for something in his back pocket, but all he got was a handful of air. 

                "Oh, you're looking for your little tool? Well, we had a little helper snatch that from you earlier, so would you like to reconsider your answer?" the voice said. Wast could practically hear the fiendish smile in their voice.  

             "No way," Wast said with unwavering conviction. The voice sighed disappointedly. 

             "Well then, I guess the hard way it is," The voice snapped, and a small flame appeared at the end of the ally. All of a sudden, a thunderous roar echoed overhead from one of the buildings. "Ow, damn mutt has no respect for my ears!" the voice said as if they were about to burst from anger.

               "No! Go! Go and protect her, we can't win this!" Wast shouted up at the building. A long moment passed, and then the creature who was on the building seemed to have gone away.                           "Good, now should we do this," the voice snapped again, and two flames appeared behind Wast. 

              "Oh, a group event, huh? That is so unfair."  

               "Go after that mutt," the voice ordered and one of the flames disappeared. 

              "Dang it," Wast muttered, "Well, I guess today is as good to die as any other, huh?" Wast readied himself for a battle. Then he heard two car crashes outside the ally followed by panicked screams as the flames grew larger. They both lunged at each other Wast wouldn't go down without a fight.