Chapter 4 - The Friend

Misty sat there, puzzled, staring at the mysterious leather covered journal. She was only able to open the first two pages, with the picture of the crow and the little greeting at the beginning. The other pages acted like one light slab attached to the back cover. Misty debated whether she should try cutting through the paper, however before she could consider all the pros and cons of doing so she heard a loud knock on the front door. Misty shot to her feet and dashed downstairs and swung open the door before a thought even crossed her mind.

                      She swung the door open revealing Zach on the other side, then suddenly a wave of sadness and disappointment spilled over her. "Oh," she said underwhelmed.

                       "What's wrong Misty you ran away so fast, Miss Beron and I were worried," Zach said his breathing was ragged.

                        "Yeah, just forgot I had brownies in the oven" Misty joked.

                      "Misty, seriously if anything is wro-" Zach started.

                        "Zach, I'm fine," Misty said gesturing at herself, "See not dead, maybe a little hungry but I just needed some time, oh and I found something! Follow me," Misty said climbing the stairs as Zach followed close behind. 

                  "But-" Zach started but paused before he could continue his phone buzzed. He flipped it out and texted something back. 

                 "What's up?" Misty asked going into the room. 

                 "It's nothing," He dismissed, "Anyways, what did you want to show me?" He asked.

                 "This!" Misty shoved the journal in front of Zach, "A journal my brother left, but not just that," Misty opened it to the page about the kids. "Right here, this is the reason, this is what I have to do, this is needed. Sorry, my brain is jumbled right now."

                  "Misty, how do you even know these kids exist? I mean like it just seems pretty far fetched," Zach stated.

                 "Yeah, but I saw one of them while I ran off they kind of hissed or growled at me which was weird," Misty explained, "Okay, I admit this sounds pretty far fetched but please believe me or at least try and help me look." 

                 "Fine, but unless we know for sure they exist then no like jumping into a nuclear reactor vat to find them okay?" Zach agreed.

                   "Of course," Misty nodded, "Now come on, let's get outta here and start searching," Misty and Zach walked out locking the door behind them. 

                  "So want to go back to where you first saw them?" Zach asked.

                  "Maybe, I don't know if they'd be there but we might be able to find something," Misty said heading back to where she came from. When they reached the alleyway nothing was really out of the ordinary and sadly the kid didn't seem to be back. Zach bent down looking inside the trash can the was laid on the ground. 

                "I don't see anything that'd key us in on where they went do you?" Zach asked.

                "Well, we still have plenty of time to look around," Misty said looking down the way the kid ran off too. 

                "Maybe someone saw them running off," Zach suggested, "I mean like it's pretty hard to not notice a lone kid running through the city."