Chapter One: Reaping

Story By Iveris

I woke up. Darn those dreams. They had hunted me ever since my father had leave. Why did he have to go why couldn't it be someone else, my family and i needed him. but he just left. I got out of bed a put on a pair of faded blue jeans and slipped on a black t-shirt. I started to the door when i heard something buzzing. Another test. I ran out of the room, hearing an explosion behind me. Dumb tests i never wake up in my bed anymore! As i got out side i saw my mom. She was always worried.

"Jennifer Ann Williamson!" she barked. "you cut it to close this time, i want you to speed up!" I rolled my eyes. Why was i the one who had the wrath taken out on? My sisters were there but of course i was the youngest, and they were to old for the Hunger Games.

When i got to my real home i opened a jug of milk and pored my self a glass. "Well howdy!!" someone said behind me. Milk almost came out of my nose. Kaylee. "Are you ready for your next Reaping?" she said. She was 25 and was excited to see who got picked every year and she always hoped it would be me.

"Kaylee I'm trying not to get picked!" I snarled.

"Pshhh that's what you think!" she snapped.

"Your dress is on your bed." Mom said coming into the kitchen.

"Thanks." I answer jogging up the stairs. My Reaping Day dress was a knee height spring yellow dress. I wore it every year, and the color was waring off. I slipped it on and put my gold Greek coin necklace on. It used to have a bunch of coins on it, but i only liked one of them. I gave the other coins to my mom for her coin collection. I sunk down the stairs hopping to scare Abbie. She always got me. I saw her in the living room reading a book for her class.

"Don't you think of scarring me Jenna!" Poo, how did she know!

"Pshh I wasn't going to scare you I was... uh coming down to get my shoes." I protested.

"Ya right." She laughed.

We walked out the door when the bell rung for the people of our District to gather for the Reaping. You could hear kids laughing and running around on the walkway. The Capitol's flags were everywhere. You could she the Capitol lady, Terra Yule, putting on even more makeup than she really needed. She had the longest hair, and the highest heals. She was wearing a skin tight purple dress that reached down to her knees and had a huge black bow on the back of it.

I got in line for the finger prick. My poor little fingers always getting hurt in some shape or form. i was getting in line for the 17 year old's when i saw James looking my way. I smiled and looked away. he's such a nice friend.

"Welcome, welcome to the 49 Annual Hunger Games!!" she sang, "And may the odds be ever in your favor!"

The Capitol tape started to play. When it finished she said, "Lady's first!" she shuffled over to the Reaping ball and pulled out a name. She shuffled back to the microphone. "Jennifer Williamson!" she announced. My heart froze. My whole life has been leading up to this, i should be happy. But I was still nervous.

I walked on stage Terra ushering me over next to her. "Now men." She scooted over to the boys reaping glass and pulled a name out. "Alto Edenthaw!" A boy about the age of 17 walked up. "i give you the tributes of district one!!!" Tarra announced.