Ch9 - How could they be so stupid?

The next morning Clove wake up, happy and rested, in a pile of pillows and blankets right next to the sleeping Cato. It takes her a while to remember the discussion they had yesterday evening, but when she does her heart sinks. She still don't want him to compete in the games, even if he has a shot to win. She stay where she is a few minutes, deep in thoughts.

She doesn't come back to reality until Cato slowly shake her arm gently, half awake. He moves closer to her, leaning his head against her shoulder and he closes his eyes again.

"Cato, time to wake up." She whispers against him as she stroke his hair. He groans and open his eyes again.

"I don't want to." He sounds like a child, not wanting to do as his parents tell him.

"Yes you do, get up." She says and starts to stand up. He drags her back down, but she don't want to sleep. She resists until he let her go, and she walks quietly away to the kitchen.

When she comes back, her hands is holding a plate with two cups of hot chocolate and two sandwiches. She hands him one cup and one sandwich, then she sit back down beside him.

"It's reaping today." She says loud, like he don't already know.

"Yes, I know." His answer is cold, emotionless.

"So you don't care? At all?" The anger inside her starts to build. Yesterday she was sad, now she is angry. How could he leave her just like that?

"Of course I care!"

"Obviously you don't.." She say with a skeptical tone, looking at him.

"I just don't want to change my mind."

"Look, I don't want to fight, but I just can't understand why?"

"I guess it's sort of personal."

"So it's personal? You can't even share it with me?"

"Don't take it that way Clove."

"Guess what, I do take it that way."

"Clove, I love you, but I made that decision ages ago. Before I even knew you, and I want to keep that promise!"

"You promised me.." She whisper to him, with a heartbroken voice. She know he can't handle it.

"I know, and I'll keep that promise as well. I will never, never leave forever. I will come back, I promise."

"I love you so much Cato." Is all she can say.

Everything gets to much for her. She breaks into tears, she can't control it anymore. She don't want to lose him now that she just got him. Cato is fast there, holding her tightly and whispering comforting words in her ear. After a couple of minutes she gets better, and the tears stop streaming at last.

A couple of hours later all of the District 2 children is standing in different areas in the square. Their escort Thalia Hayes walks up on the big stage and welcomes them to the 74'th annual Hunger Game. Clove is unhappy, as she knows that Cato is going to volunteer, so she stands still and is barely listening as the tape about 13 is playing. She starts to listen as Thalia walks up to the bowl with the girls name in though. Even if she is worrying for Cato, she can't stop thinking about who is getting reaped this year besides Cato. Well, he isn't going to get reaped, he is volunteering. If she volunteers, will Cato volunteer for her? The thought crosses her mind, right before Thalia walks up to the microphone.

"Andrea Dawson!"

"I volunteer!" Everyone stops and looks back at her. The girl who shouted, the girl who volunteered. Clove take a step forward as two peacekeepers walks up to her and escort her to the stage. Her face is stone, but inside she feels hope. Maybe Cato won't volunteer now. Maybe he will let the person who get reaped go in so that she can win. Maybe she has just saved his life? He knows that she can throw knives, he knows that she is the best one in their class. Maybe he will let her go by herself, win and come back?

"Mathew Jowett!" Thalia says and smiles.

"I volunteer!" Cato shouts from a spot at the right, his eyes staring into Clove's. She looks away, both disappointed and angry. She knew him better. She knew that he would volunteer anyway. How could she be so stupid?

Cato walks up on the stage, still staring at her. His mind is blocked, all he can think of is Clove, dead. How could he be so stupid? Why didn't anyone else volunteer for her? How will he continue now? how could he volunteer, to save her? Of course, to save her. What other reasons would he volunteer for?

They both look away when they take each others hands and shake them. They don't want to look into each others eyes, they don't want to feel that pain you feel when you know you are going to lose someone. Enobaria and Brutus walks up on stage and take both Clove and Cato away from it and into the justice building, with peacekeepers surrounding them. Brutus take Cato and Enobaria take Clove into different rooms for them to say goodbye to their family and friends.