Chapter 25: We Sleep Again

"Xavier is that you?" Mrs. Mason called from somewhere inside the house.

"Yeah," He said, his voice deep and waning.

I looked over at him with concern. To be honest, I didn't know what to say or how to feel about spending the night with a guy, this time knowingly (let us not forget the supposedly accidental sleeping situation that occurred this summer).

And listen, I know that at this point I just found out that Xavier has cancer and all but my mind went straight to my underwear. I was wearing a thong, not because I thought I was going to get a lil sommin' tonight, but because my dress was tight around the booty and Laura said that I either had to wear a thong or nothing... I wasn't about to go with nothing. But the thing about this thong is that it was a last minute purchase and, well, it's different ... it's Zebra print.

I am not a Zebra printed thong kind of girl, I swear.

"Sophie, why do you look constipated?" Xavier couldn't help but find my embarrassment funny, I mean it's not like he's just forgotten how to make fun of me now that we love each other and everything.

I grumbled. "Maybe I am constipated, huh? Did you ever think of that?"

He laughed and I calmed down because seeing him happy brightens my world.

"Oh, Sophie! Hi!" Xavier's mom had appeared from the kitchen in a fluffy bathrobe. Her hair was messy, falling out of her bun, and she was holding a mug in one hand as she clenched her bathrobe closed with the other.

"Hi!" I said exaggeratedly. I was nervous.

"What are you doing up?" Xavier was gentle when he said it.

"I-uh, was having some tea," She said, looking down at her slippered feet. "Would either of you want a cup?"

"I'd like some," I said, glancing up at Xavier.

"Let's have some, then," he said.

The three of us sat down around his kitchen table, holding mugs of different shapes and sizes. Mine was clearly handmade, with indentations all over the drum and a handle that was way too big. I smiled as I studied it.

"Xavier made that one," his mother said.

"I can tell," I said.

"Asshole," he responded playfully, causing his mother to widen her eyes at him and shake her head. "I mean, thank you," he added

I chuckled and noticed his mug was one that said 'World's Best Dad'. I wondered if he always chose that one, it made me upset just to see it in his hands.

Mrs. Mason poured us all tea from a dainty teapot. "It's lavender tea, I hope that's okay."

I nodded, breathing in the soothing vapors. I wasn't a big tea drinker, but there was something comforting about holding the warm ceramic and letting the steam rise up into my face.

"So how was the Ball?" She took a sip of her tea, intently gazing at the two of us.

"Really nice," I said.

"Real fun," Xavier said bitterly. I could tell by the way he said it that he was in one of his moods. Again, I know he didn't mean to offend me, but it was hurtful. Why couldn't it have been fun, despite everything?

His response was met with an uncomfortable silence. I suddenly felt like I wanted to leave.

"And where's Mark?"

"We left him and Laura with the truck to themselves," Xavier said.

"So her name's Laura, huh?" Mrs. Mason smiled, trying to involve me when we made eye contact. "He must really like her. You know, it's been quite a while since Mark has been on a date." She chuckled to herself.