Chapter 34: The Most Important Year

School was the reality check none of us wanted. I wished I were in college already. According to Josh, you can choose which days of the week you have class and how early you have to wake up, and no one actually cares if you end up going. That was what I needed. 

I found myself walking around my high school generating a list of all the things that would be better in college. For instance, people in college actually care about their peers. They commit to all of these efforts to make students feel heard with all kinds of clubs for under-represented minorities, and no one makes fun of someone when their clothes don't match. At Oakwood, all I ever felt from my peers was judged.

Also, did you know that you can go to the bathroom anytime you want in college because it is a God-given right? At Oakwood, we had to beg our teachers for permission to go to the bathroom, and bathrooms were kept locked and guarded...I make it sound intense but really, the guard was some lady who sat on a computer chair across from the bathroom doors, on her phone all day, who fell asleep between 2nd and 3rd period. I'm pretty sure she had sleep apnea too, judging by the sounds she made when she conked out. 

But anyway, since it was High School, I had to deal with angry chats from all of my teachers after each class about how I'm behind, and I'm going to lose my spot at the top of the class. And it wasn't only my teachers. Xavier was in and out of school more than I was. People were asking me all sorts of questions about him. People I didn't even know, like Coach Samuels for instance. 

"Is Xavier going to make it for tonight's game?" 

I shrugged as I tried to head to math. "I don't know."  I had a math test, and just barely managed to piece together mine and Xavier's project by the due date last week. 

"Could you, maybe, call him?" He stood in my path, his imposing stature blocking my way entirely. 

I ignored the question of how he figured out that he could come to me to get in touch with Xavier. The last bell rang, signaling that I was officially late to class. "Fine." I pulled out my phone and dialed his number, making eye contact occasionally with Coach Samuels, who was itching his dark, hair-covered chin. 

It rang for almost too long, and part of me was hoping Xavier would just miss the call so I wouldn't have to do this kind of thing.

"Hello?" Came a gruff voice. 

"Hey, Xavier, it's Sophie," I said timidly, growing more and more self-conscious as we spoke. 

There was some rustling. I imagined that he was in his bed. I mean it was somewhere near seven in the morning. "What's up? Are you okay?" I could hear the fear in his voice. 

"Yeah, yeah don't worry. How are you?" I ignored the coach urging me on with a gesture that looked like he used it to signal the players on his team. 

Xavier cleared his throat. "Oh, you know...the usual." 

I readied myself. "Because, I have Coach Samuels here, and he's wondering if you're going to make it to tonight's game." 

There was silence on his end. "Oh, okay." 

I swallowed, noting that he was probably insulted. "You think you'd be able to start today?" 

He sighed. "Yeah, why the hell not." 

"Okay, I'll tell him." I said, and before I could say anything else the line went dead. I turned to the coach. "He said he'll start for you." 

"Hell yeah!" He clapped his hands together with glee, before disappearing down the hall to his office, and leaving me to fend for myself without a late pass.