44. Into the Lion's Den

Tony

"I'm sorry, is the sound of me winning too loud for you?" Regan shouted. I had taken her to Dave and Buster's (a grave error on my part) and she demanded we play air hockey.

I glared at her. "You said best two out of three."

She skipped to me, kissing my cheek. "I might've, but I don't care." She danced proudly. "I thought you were gonna win."

I laughed, pulling her against me. "What do you want for your prize?"

"I think I want you...r keys. I get to drive the Corvette."

I gaped at her. "You are not driving my baby."

"I thought I was your baby."

"Can't a man have more than one?"

She giggled, wrestling the car keys from my grip. "Nope." 

As she ran for the car, I sprinted after her. "Regs, be gentle! Please! Gently, gently, no, you can't move the seat forward."

She pouted for a moment, then patted the passenger seat. "C'mon, baby, time to go for a ride."

After she scared me out of my wits ("I was not going to hit that old woman!" "YOU WERE A LITTLE TOO CLOSE FOR MY LIKING!" "Oh, calm down-" "NO"), I dropped her off at home, walking  her to her door. I went to give her a kiss, but the front door swung open and we scattered to opposite sides of the front porch.

Her parents stood in the doorway, her father sulking, her mother looking close to laughter. "Welcome home, Regan," her father started, but her mother cut him off.

"Now, Anthony, Regan sat us down and we had a good, long, rational," a long glance at her husband, "conversation and we would be pleased to invite you to dinner."

I caught the gasp before it exited my mouth. "I'd be honored to." I looked at Regan, who looked like a cat in cream.

Her father muttered something under his breath, but retreated into the house. Regan hugged her mom, who still looked a little hesitantly in my direction still, but was infinitely warmer.

The door closed behind her mom and I grabbed Regan and pressed my lips against hers. She responded by licking my lips before breaking off the kiss, blowing in my ear, and dancing out of my reach. As her arms wound around my neck, I pressed my face into her hair and breathed in vanilla. I'd never leave again.