18. It'll Harm, I Let It In

Regan

I sunk down to the floor, the sobs scraping their way from my throat. Their voices echoed down the hallway, the harsh whispers grating against my ears. My vision blurred as I picked up my phone. Power on. As I dialed the numbers blindingly fast, tears dripped down my cheeks. I had started the day with an intense migraine and even though I had been taking my medicine, my head hurt worse and my hands had my signature little bumps.

"Hey, babe. What's up?" Just hearing his voice made everything some tiny degree better.

I let out the sob I had been trying to swallow. "Uh-"

"Reg, what's wrong?" I could almost hear the cogs in his brain shudder to a halt.

"My parents and I got into another argument about-" I broke off, biting my lip.

"About me?"

I nodded.

"Regan?"

I'm an idiot. "Sorry, I nodded," I amended.

A deep sigh rang through the phone. "Bud, we haven't even been technically dating a week and if this is the way they are acting-"

"Are you trying to dump me after a week?"

He chuckled. "No, I'm not, Regan. I'm just saying this isn't likely gonna get better anytime soon. And I don't want you to have to deal with your parents."

"They're just protective. Even if they seem to do it in the worst way possible." I picked myself up off the floor. "Here, hold on a second, Tony." I covered the microphone with one hand and opened my door with the other. My dad stood there, looking very guilty. "I'm going on a walk. I'll be back whenever," I stated, walking past him without looking him in the eyes. As he started to say something, I slammed the deck door behind me and jogged down the steps. Wiping the tears still wet on my face away, my voice started to shake. "I left, sorry."

"Where are you? I'm coming to get you." He sounded breathless, or maybe angry.

"I'm on my way to the park by my house," I started, then thought about it. "Tony, maybe it isn't the best time-"

"You're not crying alone anymore," I heard his car start in the background. "I'll be there soon. Keep talking to me."

"Are you sure you want this, Tony? There are so many problems associated with dating me." I kicked a rock a little forward and picked it up, turning it over and over in my hand. "I know you might like me but honestly I would dump me-" A car horn honked. I whirled around and saw Tony point at me, then the seat next to him. I sprinted to his car, ripping open his door and diving in.

He hugged me tight and pulled back to look at my eyes. "Your eyes are all red and your mascara is down to your chin and your nose-"

"Tony, please don't tell me why I look terrible at the moment." I looked at my hands. "I don't think I can handle it right now."

He reached for my left hand, lifting it to his lips. "Tell me what happened."

I sniffed and took a deep breath. "I was talking about how we were gonna hang out tomorrow and go see a movie. My dad made some comment, I can't remember what at the moment, and my mom added on to that. I just kinda snapped. It had just been when of those days. It turned into a big shouting match. My dad said something like there's only one reason an older guy would date a girl like you and my mom said something like is it even legal, with the age thing or the hospital and I started shouting and it just makes me so angry. Why can't they just accept us? It's not like we are doing anything outrageous-"

The car engine turned off and he kissed me once to stop my rapidly accelerating mouth. We were at a dead end a few streets away from my house with only a flickering street lamp for light. The kiss was not nearly long as I would've like it but he cradled my face in his hands. "We will be ok, babe, ok? We have each other." He wiped away my tears and kissed me again. And I melted into a pile of tears and kisses.