Chapter 5: Warm Whether, Cold Water

"You coming Zedaph?" Impulse called, snapping Zedaph back into the real world.

"Wha- oh yeah!" Zedaph responded, jogging over to where Impulse casually leaned against the main mast of the ship, his hands in the pockets of his shorts.

"I don't think I can deal with this sun a second more, let's go." Impulse said exaggeratedly and began to make his way to where the rope ladders hung over the ship's railing and descended into the sea. Ever since the storm passed a couple days ago, it felt like the sun had been shining nonstop.

The two started to make their way to the ladder when they heard Cub's voice behind them.

"Yeah you should be good. You're lucky it isn't worse." Cub said in a good natured tone.

The two spun around, "Cub! Doc!"

Immediately distracted from their plans, the two crew members quickly made their way to Doc and Cub.

"It's been a moment since you've been out here-" Zedaph greeted Doc.

"How's the arm?" Impulse added. Doc's arm was hanging in a sling made of white bandages but other than that he appeared as usual.

"Sounds like it's good, there's some damage but it'll heal if I don't use it." Doc answered, glancing at Cub to check his statement.

Cub nodded. "So no more fights with pirates for at least a couple of weeks." He said smiling.

"You got it captains-" Impulse responded, jokingly saluting Cub and Doc.

"What are you two doing up here anyways?" Doc asked, "There's no wind, and since the fishnet got fixed up were not running low on food." Doc looked at the two guys who had removed their excess clothes to go swimming, "and it's really hot out here as well..." He added.

"We were going for a swim." Impulse answered.

"Fun! We'll I'll let you guys get to that." Doc said, "Don't get left behind when the wind picks up."

"We'll be careful." Zedaph responded as the two pairs went separate ways, Doc and Cub traveling down the stairs into the hull and Zedaph and Impulse walking back to the rope ladder. Zedaph started climbing down to the water first, a warm breeze ruffled his blonde hair. He continued climbing down further and felt the rope shake as Impulse climbed on above him. Zedaph was only a few more rungs from the water when he heard a playful shout from above him. Zedaph looked up just in time to see Impulse zip past him, having jumped off from where he had been hanging on the ladder.

A large splash of bright blue, crystal water came from the ocean where Impulse had cannon balled in, spraying Zedaph with refreshingly cool mist. Zedaph smiled to himself before spontaneously following in Impulse's footsteps and leaping from the ladder.

The cold ocean water embraced him as he collided with the surface of the water. Seeping through the clothes he had on, the ocean water cooled Zedaph down instantly.

Zedaph pushed his head out of the surface of the water, flicking his soaked hair out of his eyes as he quietly laughed to himself.

"I didn't know you were going to jump in!" Zedaph said turning to see Impulse, a wide grin on his face.

Impulse was moving himself to float back down on the surface of the water resting his hands behind his head.

"Neither did I-" Impulse laughed.

Zedaph treaded water while Impulse effortlessly floated on his back, and the two took some time to relax and unwind from the battle they had gone through only days ago and all the deck work they had done since.