(Chapter 7) - GCPD Gloom

The journey to the GCPD was silent. The desire to end it all had never been more powerful, Jonathan thought to himself. The melancholy sky cried upon the car, almost as if it were mimicking the pain in Jonathan's heart. Getting caught was not apart of the plan, in fact, he hadn't even thought of the possibility. He was so sure no one-tailed them to Ace Chemicals- but Jonathan couldn't pretend to be surprised. Nothing worked out for him, not now, not ever. He wasn't sure whether it was the gruesome torture he endured at Arkham that emptied his empathy for anyone, including himself. Come to think of it, had he ever cared? He cared about his mother and father but that was different... Things were different then.

The officers escorting Jonathan kept to themselves not bothering to acknowledge his presence as they spoke openly about their private lives- it was funny Jonathan thought. At least he knew where to fetch test dummies if he or Jervis required them in the distant future. What would he tell them? Perhaps they might send him somewhere else if he told them about what happened at Arkham, it wasn't like he hadn't any proof of it- then again, would anybody care?

Then again, the GCPD wasn't known for intelligence. Even the good cops knew that not that there were many of those about. Aside from the occasional outburst on the streets, they were essentially useless. They couldn't even track Jervis to an apartment that he had lived in previously. If that didn't show their intolerable idiocy then Jonathan didn't know what would. From what Jonathan could hear, hasn't even managed to stay faithful to their wives. Jonathan tried blocking the rest from there on out, he had far too much to worry about than whether an officer could keep his clothes on.

The wind howled furiously as they winded through the sleeping city. Even to Jonathan, the city looked almost beautiful. The glow of yellow lights lit the road as the undertaker took him to his funeral, or at least that was what it felt like to Jonathan. He never had understood why the GCPD were so useless until today, the truth was that they were simply lazy. They hadn't got to Jervis and he wasn't exactly a quiet man, or maybe they had and they were just keeping quiet, but Jonathan doubted that. Surely they would use that to their advantage, but Jonathan didn't have to worry that much, he would find out shortly.

Before long they were stepping out into the night's sky and pulling Jonathan out too. They escorted Jonathan into the GCPD with little retaliation, he saw no point in being difficult now. There was nowhere to hide, no way to escape. He probably would be killed upon his return to Arkham, there was no way Dr Strange would allow him to live now. Or maybe he would be allowed to live so long as he kept himself in solitary, that sounded like something the twisted Doctor would do. Wasn't it enough Jonathan had endured torture? All he could do was hope Jervis would follow through with the parts he knew about- it wasn't much but it was enough to send a message.

"Name?" A grubby man behind a long wooden desk asked loudly. The dark strands of his hair covering part of his face as he looked down at a paper with a pen ready to write. 
"Jonathan Crane" Joanthsn saw no point in lying at this stage, it wouldn't take too long for someone to recognise him now.
"Wha-" The man looked up, his pupils widening slightly in shock as he hastily lowered a hand to grab what Joanthsn assumed was his pistol. "Aren't you suppose to be in Arkham?"
"Yes," Jonathan answered truthfully. His arms still bleeding slightly from the painful tackle from earlier.
"Lock him up" The officer pointed to an empty holding cell. At least they weren't dragging him to Arkham just yet.

The man shot across the room winding between multiple cops trying to make way for him. "Jim! Lee!" The man shouted as he banged on a door rather close to the cell Jonathan was in. 
"Harvey?" A deeper voice called, but as the door opened, Jonathan immediately recognized the voice. Jim Gordon. Fuck, this was it. This was where he would be cast back to Arkham, there was no way Jim would even listen to anything Jonathan had to say.  "Harvey, what is it?" Jim asked as he opened the door wider, behind him a dark-haired lady slipped out the room holding a few files.
"Crane. We got him" Harvey breathed, even that short amount of exercise proved too much for him.  Jonathan snickered slightly.
"Woah- what?" Jim asked.
"Should we call Arkham?" Harvey's eyes narrowed, his voice sounding conflicted.