Chapter One

A/N: I'm back, mes amis! Did you miss me? This is the first chapter of the sequel to my story Hope's Heart. You don't have to read it first, but it would clear a lot of things up. This story is dedicated to @BaineTelrunya - I don't know what I would do without you! Thanks for your honesty and keeping me humble :)

Enjoy!

Chapter One

Wyoming, 1870

"I now pronounce you man and wife."

The church erupted into clapping and cheers. Angel Donovan, bridesmaid and best friend of the bride, watched as her friend Hope McClellen sealed her marriage to Calvin McKay with a kiss, unmistakable love shining in her eyes.

After the noise had died down somewhat, Calvin turned around. "Now I know some of you will be expectin' a big, fancy speech," there was another burst of laughter, "but I ain't too good at those so I'll just say this: Thanks for coming. Hope and Maggie and I, we're really glad to have you here." He smiled down at his new bride and then spoke up again. "Now there's food laid out in the meadow and there'll be some dancing later on; we hope you'll all stay." He smiled and ducked his head, cheeks flaring with embarrassment as everyone clapped again.

Angel beamed, her smile tinged with a hint of sadness. Hope was so happy now. She had arrived in Sweetwater with her daughter Maggie as the only survivors of a stagecoach robbery, and now, one year later, the young seamstress was getting married--to Calvin McKay of all people, a former bounty hunter. It wasn't what most would call a perfect match, but there was no doubt that both Calvin and Hope had never been happier. Watching her best friend, Angel couldn't help but feel the slightest tinge of envy. She would never get a chance to experience what Hope would, and that in itself marred her joy for her friend.

Everyone began making their way outside to the meadow, and Hope turned to Calvin. "Go on outside, would you? I just want to say something to Angel."

"Don't be too long," he replied, giving her another kiss, before sweeping Maggie up in his arms as the child squealed with delight. "Come on, little girl, let's go get something to eat."

Hope watched them leave, her eyes shining, before turning to Angel. "You're going to stay for the food, aren't you?"

Angel shook her head. "I don't know. In case you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly an honoured guest." Her mouth twitched wryly. She had noticed Mrs Dunnagan and Mrs Landry from town watching her during the service and whispering to each other behind their hands.

Hope squeezed her hand. "You're my guest and if anyone doesn't like it, they can always leave. Please stay, Angel. For me." Her dark eyes were pleading.

Angel relented. "Alright, but not too long. With you and Calvin going away to Cheyenne for a few days, I'll need to work twice as hard at the shop to keep things up and running."

"Thanks for volunteering to help."

"It was my pleasure." Angel was far from a talented seamstress, but she was a good worker with a neat stitch, and she enjoyed the feeling of doing something for herself.

Hope grasped her hand. "Come on, let's go." They left the church and headed out into the bright sunshine.

It was a lovely spring day. Calvin and Hope had chosen just the right time for their wedding, when spring had just burst into full bloom and the warm weather began. Birds sang gaily in the trees and there was not a cloud in sight. It was perfect.

Hope headed over to Calvin almost immediately, stopping to pick up Maggie and exchange a word with Nellie Woods, owner of the boarding-house. The crusty old woman with a heart of gold had been one of the first to welcome Hope and her daughter into town, and was one of the few people who didn't look down on Angel because of her past.

Angel went to the food tables, her eyes scanning the plates of scones and jugs of lemonade and punch. "Give you a hand, Ellie?" she said to the young woman serving food.

The redhead looked up, her eyes jerking nervously in the direction of her mother. "Well..."

"I'll pour the drinks," Angel said firmly, not giving her a chance to refuse. She pulled off her white lace gloves and settled behind the table, determined not to let other people's attitudes ruin the day.

Luc Dumont, Calvin's best friend and the town's 'unofficial' doctor, came up, looking uncomfortable in his best man's suit. He smiled warmly at Angel. "Can I get some lemonade, please?" He spoke with a familiar Louisiana drawl, tinged with another accent from his Cajun roots.

"Sure." Angel poured him a glass. "Enjoying yourself?"

"Yes, but I'll be glad to get this monkey suit off." He jerked at the tie. "Darn thing's nearly choking me."

"Let me give you a hand." Angel motioned for him to lean forward and loosened the tie somewhat. "Better?"

"Much." He grinned. "Remind me to owe you one."

Angel laughed and shooed him away. She turned back to the drinks, and that's when she heard it.

"Did you see that?" The shocked voice of one of the town matrons shoved its way into Angel's head. She froze, not wanting to listen, but unable to move.

"I saw," the snooty accents of Mrs Landry, the banker's wife, spoke coolly. "She's got a nerve, showing her face around here, flashing herself in front of the men like some cheap street girl."

"I'm surprised at Hope inviting her," Mrs Dunnagan cut in. She was the barber's wife, a skinny, long-nosed woman with dyed hair and wrinkles she unsuccessfully tried to hide with makeup. "She's little better than a tart."

"Hope's too kind-hearted," the first voice said. "If it wasn't such a happy day for her, I wouldn't be anywhere near that girl."

Angel stood still, the cruel words cutting into her skin like little sharp knives. Unable to listen anymore, she snatched her gloves off the table and walked swiftly to the back of the church, where it was quiet. There, she closed her eyes, fighting for control as hot tears pricked the back of her eyelids.

"How long, God?" she whispered. "How long until they forget?"

It hadn't been her choice to work in the Silver Bay Saloon. But Sherman's march across the South devastated Angel's family and she had had nowhere else to go. Singing was the only thing she was good at, so she offered herself for the job and Jack had accepted her. It had been three years, three long years of humiliation and stigma until Hope came, giving Angel a chance to set herself free and also find someone to call a friend. Other people however, were not so forgiving, as today had proved yet again.

Angel bit down hard on her lip. She couldn't stand this much longer. She needed to get away, to make a fresh start where she could finally be clean. There was only one question.

How?

~

A/N: That's the first chapter! Hope you like it; reviews and votes are welcome!