2. Escape is difficult

It was almost seven when I reached our apartment.

Seven was the time I used to wake up everyday. Vani was a bit late riser. She woke at seven thirty or eight, do her morning chores, make breakfast for both of us and then leave for the law firm she currently was working in. Her office hours started from nine. Mine started from ten. I worked as an editor for a local publishing house.

Today the scenario was little different though. Today both Vani and me had a holiday. We were supposed to wake up late, assuming we both had an ugly hangover from last night. Unfortunately nothing of that sort happened as I fled to Gadsisar ghat leaving all the celebrations while Vani was left behind to look for me.

I felt extremely sorry for her as I pushed the key through the keyhole and turned the knob.

Vani was awake, I knew. Or maybe she hadn't slept the entire night. But what I saw after entering the flat totally blew me away. There at the floor near the couch was sitting Vani with her head dug between her knees. Her hairs were undone and she hadn't changed her dress from last night. Her slightly shivering gait told that she was weeping coupiously.

I sighed and called her name- "Vani?"

She hadn't noticed me enter. My voice made her look up and shot a glance that I could not decipher. On the other hand, her kohl smudged eyes frightened me a little.

"You know I was going to file a missing report against you?" She spoke in a broken voice. Something cracked inside me at that instance.

I cleared my throat. "Err...You couldn't have done it before twenty four hours."

She got up from her place and came near me. Then she raised her hand and without any previous warning, slapped across my face. I could feel my cheek muscles vibrate with the intensity.

"Bitch, where were you for the whole night? Do you have any idea what I had to go through?" She shouted her lungs out. I tried cajoling her but it went in vain.

"I understand Vani..."

"No you don't." She stopped me midway. "You don't know how I felt when I saw your message, came home running and then found that you're missing from here as well."

"I had fallen asleep on the ghat Vani. I don't know how."

"Are you kidding me?" She yelled again.

"No, I am not. I had seriouslly fallen asleep." I told her slowly. "My slumber broke when your Bira came to the ghat in the morning."

"Bira? What was he doing at Gadsisar?" She had calmed down a bit. I knew Bira's trick was going to work on her.

"He was there to have some fresh air." Maybe. I didn't know yet. I just cooked up a story for now.

"Oh.." Vani sighed. "What did he tell you? Did you guys talk?"

"He gave me his blazer." I pointed to the olive green blazer that I was wearing. Vani's jaws fell apart.

"Seriously? Did you guys make out or what?"

"No, dumbo. My cardigan was torn near the shoulder. Thats why he gave it to me and said that he wants it back tomorrow. Dry cleaned."

"Means? You are going to meet him again?"

"Seems so." I shrugged. "But if you want then I can back off."

"You can?" She raised her brows in astonishment.

"Ofcourse. Afterall you are his fan Vani, not me."

"Well.. I...."

I removed the blazer and kept it in her hands. "Ise laundry bhej. Then give it to him tomorrow."