CHAPTER 4 [EDITED]

5132

THREE YEARS AGO

Fear of losing something always had me run away from that feeling.

So why did it feel like the familiar feeling was back today?

The more I paced, the more frustrated I got. We were supposed to have the best summer this year, together. But it was all going down faster and faster until I was afraid that everything would just crash and burn.

Four years down the rabbit hole just like that.

We were having fights every day for the smallest reasons and when we weren't, Zach was avoiding me at all cost. Though last night had to be the huge one we ever had. He never brought Samara up in one of our arguments before but yesterday he did, fully knowing the sting it would leave behind.

Which was exactly why I was more scared to confront him today. I didn't know who he was anymore. He was ditching college to go God knew where and always leaving messages on seen. How was I going to help him if he didn't even feel that I was worthy of that?

Hell, if he didn't want to be with me anymore then I'd gladly leave him. His happiness meant more to me than he would ever know. If I just started to feel like a chore to him after years...I wanted to set him free on good terms.

"What's up birthday girl?" Someone called out, forcing me to glance up. As soon as I saw who it was, I broke into a smile. Kyle gave me an easygoing smile before looking over me. "You waiting for someone?"

"I'm looking for Zach actually. Is he here? I can't find him anywhere so I thought he'd be here. At least, he never misses practice." I asked only to notice his smile disappear.

"Zach didn't tell you?"

I was quick to ask him. "Why, did something happen?"

"Actually, he's missing practices regularly. Coach and he had a huge fight about that. You should have seen him run out. We are all worried, Lana. I called him like fifty times already but it went straight to voicemail. I thought he crashed at your place."

"You're telling me he ran out in the middle of the storm?" I tried not to let the fear show but I was failing. The weather today was particularly chilly and I couldn't decipher what's that weird feeling of loss was in my heart. "Did he take his bike?"

"I said someone will drop him but he didn't listen."

His words only fuelled my sadness. He took such a big decision without telling me once and now who knew where the hell he was. "Is he seeing someone else? You can tell me. I can handle the truth."

"No way! He'll kill himself before he hurts you. Zach will come around. He isn't seeing someone. He is just worried about something bigger than you or I know about. The guy loves you, OK?"

I laughed, trying to counter that when I noticed several people in the officer's uniform talking to the coach. The smile washed off my face once I saw how serious every one of them looked. Confused, I saw one of them look in our direction. And when they started marching toward us I could only watch like a bystander before my wrist was yanked and one of them was cuffing me. Beside me, Kyle tried to ask questions but I couldn't get a word out. Not a single one until I was shoved into a police car.

"Where are you taking me! Kyle?"

"I'm sorry, Ms. Gill, but you are under arrest for murdering Mr. Zachary Carson and the civilians near your cabin."

What!

"You have the right to remain silent. If you do say anything, what you say can be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to consult with a lawyer and have that lawyer present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you if you so desire..."

"Hold her down, now!" A voice tore through the memory, making all of my limbs twitch like I was being fried. Or shocked.

"5132 is trying to escape. Again, 5132 is trying to escape. Call the enforcements."

My eyes opened to see an empty ceiling and the chains holding me to the bedpost. I didn't understand where the voices were coming from or where I was but something in me knew that I had to get out of here. Right about now.

"Welcome back." My gaze went to the nearest voice to notice a woman in a doctor's uniform. I tried to make sense of anything happening around me but my memories were foggy. I hardly remembered my own name.

"What-" I coughed, the bitterness in my throat making me almost puke. "What happened?"

The woman's face looked cold as she described what might have happened. "You tried to hurt your roommate so we had to take some actions that you might not like. You lost your privileges of having a roommate and your own room. This solitary is where you will be from now. Just keep calm and take your pills in time. A nurse and a therapist will be given to you when your behavior changes."

What?

"Where am I?" I asked, looking around. No, I couldn't be here. There wasn't a single window or anything that could tell me what time it was. Even the walls were padded and I couldn't breathe properly. How did I end up here?

"You're in safe hands. Just tell me if you can remember your name."

My name?

My lips opened and closed, trying to remember a fracture of it but I couldn't help it. Who was I? Why was I here?

"I-I can't remember," I whispered, choking in the realization of that. "I should have known. It's something to do with a number. I'm so sorry, I can't remember."

She smiled but I couldn't find any comfort in that. "You're 5132. Repeat after me. Who are you?"

"I'm 5132 and I don't know why I am here..."

And after she left me, I could only repeat the same thing over and over.

***

Who have already read the first book know-how Zach died. So it was thrilled to write this chapter. Our dear Zach knew something...Curiosity killed the cat. But what do you think he knew? Let me know!