THE END OF THE BEGINING

TEN YEARS AGO

"Look at that bird, Gema. God! This is so pretty." The girl with the auburn hair squealed, letting my pet play with her with a warm smile. I was sure that she didn't know it was a demon and that's what made it more fun to toy with her.

"Emie! Look, it looks like it's smirking! Get away from it, please." The other girl, a brunette cried out as the raven flew her way. Amused, I watched those two fight over my pet from a distance. No sooner, the older girls joined their little group. A boy kept running around them, pulling the brunette's ponytail in the process. So she started to run after him, laughing with joy.

The raven was all forgotten.

But not for long.

"As requested master, she didn't learn a single spell." My right hand, Fallon delivered when he was back in his own body. 

"Also, Jonathan wanted to know how she's doing. He still believes that you are keeping your father's words to the heart. That's why I wonder if you want her to be your Queen one day..." He trailed off, his gaze showing something different. Something I didn't like.

"If you started something, finish it, Fallon."

He hesitated before delving into his thoughts. "You said you needed the three pieces to free Condessa. This girl is among them. But now that I look at you...can you really go through it?"

She had her head bent down, just staring at her feet now. I couldn't help it, I just kept staring at her.

"She'll be my Queen and all mine, Fallon. Sacrifice or not."

And I couldn't think of a worse punishment than that. 

SIX MONTHS AGO

"Love, see who came to visit us!" I heard the yelling even from my chamber. In a minute, two maids opened my door as I sheepishly stood up, walking over to them. They led me to the King's chamber, leaving me to wait for him. Thankfully I didn't have to wait longer. 

"Emeline!" The overexcited voice had me turn around to see Demos with a smile on his face. Which was rare sight considering he was the demon king.

My King.

"Yes?" I curtsied, waiting for him to give me a job but to my surprise, he wasn't alone like every other time. There were two people behind him and for a second, panic gripped me but Demos was there to calm me down. 

"Don't be afraid, my darling. I'd love you to meet these two. Here is my old friend Jonathan Bazin." The man gave me a nod of acknowledgment.

"And this is Rosaline DeLuca, our mutual friend and the only witch I'm not willing to kill." Demos let out a chuckle, not noticing the way Rosaline's face clenched in disgust. Though in a minute she was joining the laughter with a glint in her gaze.

"Oh, don't be so coy, Demos. I'm not the only witch you are willing to spare. Forgot our friend Condessa so soon?"

I didn't know who this Condessa was but the name took every bit of playfulness from Demos's face. His eyes hardened and he forced out a grin. "How could I forget about her, huh, Rose?"

"My King?" I could feel the tension in the air. "Um...who is Condessa?" 

It's the man who answered with a rough edge in his voice. "His half-sister. She fell into a sleeping spell a long time ago because she stole something from Death. She was very dear to us but her fate had been written in blood already. There was nothing we could do."