BACK TO THE BEGINNING

DARKNESS

THREE YEARS AGO

The deeper Zed led us into the tunnels, the narrower the walls became. At some points, we had to walk sideways to actually keep up. At last, Zed played with some buttons and the door opened by itself.

"Here's your cell." The cell was made just like I asked for it to be. Void of any luxury. Or hope. It looked like Hell had been recreated on earth. 

"You can still back off, you know," Zed spoke out after looking around the cell and adjusting himself to the heat of Hell.

"I wanted to live this way and you are not going to stop me." Maybe I should have done this a long time ago. It only cost me her life for me to finally get the courage. "In birth, in life, and now in death, I vow to break every connection I had with your clan, Zedkiel."

The bitterness had Zed flinch.

But I could care less.

"You can't just refuse me after that many years, Alexei." The use of my full name made my heart hurt even more. He smiled as the last resort. "I can still help you."

"You can't. Not anymore."

He thought I was making a mistake but didn't he know that there was no easy way out? "I know you can't take this anymore. But trust me, Emie wouldn't want you to do this to yourself. You yourself told me that she visits you in your dreams and she wants you to be happy, then why this?″

Why this? Why not? Every second of my life, I was tormented by her memories. The only way to make peace was to live the same way she was. She was in Hell, losing her mind in pain. Paying for something I did.

"You can't help me, Zedkiel." I brushed over a scar she made when she was ripped out of my arms. I have counted each and every one she gave me. My shadows refused to heal them. I refused to let them. "You and I, we've done our best, remember? There was nothing or no one that we didn't try. You even went to the Coven. Did we find anything? No. It's done for, I have given up. Now the only day I'll see anyone will be the day she returns." 

He clenched his fist. "What if it's forever? What if she never comes back?"

"Then I'll be here forever.″ I gritted out.

"Just because I've been a good friend and a leader to you...you think you can just tell me that you refuse all my teachings and give up on your wife? You are wrong!" Before I could see it coming, he pushed me to the wall with a glare. "The whole year, every time you came up with any crazy idea, I supported you even when no one did. Do you know what the other clans said? What the Volkioses decided will be best for you? They told me to arrange an execution to finally give you peace. I spit on those bastards, I stayed true to my loyalty. Even when you kicked Hannah out, I said nothing! I've had enough."

He suddenly held my wrist in a tight grip only to put a shackle on it. "I don't accept any words you have said today. You are still a member of my clan and always will be. I'm your master and it's in your best interest the faster you accept that."

ONE YEAR AGO

"Came to take me, old friend?" I mocked the shadow on the corner. No matter how much he hid it, I could certainly recognize the shadow. Not that I was angry or anything. In fact, it was a pleasant surprise among everything. 

Look how far you've fallen... I could hear Zed whisper in my ears. Look at you!

"Your tricks don't work on me, friend." I warned, wincing. These days it was getting harder to pretend that I wasn't questioning everything. Whether it was real or not. Even now I couldn't tell if he was really here but I had to try.

"Say something!" 

"Is this a way to talk to an old friend?" Death finally put me out of my misery. "I see you're still stubborn."

"You know me." I let out a chuckle despite it hurt to even breathe. It was icy cold in the daytime and scorching hot at night. That was the only way to know time these days. And time never felt this slow.

"You always manage to land yourself in trouble. What is it this time?" The shadow looked around, his scythe following his movement. There was a time I was tired of seeing his face but now I felt energetic suddenly. 

"You should know..." I trailed off, trying to see if he was interested in continuing the matter. A little nod was what needed for me to start talking. "Did you see her? When she left?"

"Who are you talking about?"

"You know who."

"The Deshayes girl or the mother?" He asked with a teasing tone. I thought he would keep this current appearance but to my surprise, he turned back to look like the boy I met centuries ago. "I think I met her."

"How was she?"

"Sad, betrayed, and...free." 

I knew what he was doing but I wanted a straight answer. "Don't play with me. I won't be so generous like I was back then."

"I don't see any improvement now either." He tasked, coming closer to look at the chains. "You're more desperate for me. You thought I came to take you to her."

I smiled slowly. "Aren't you?"

All humor left from his face. "No. It's not your time yet. She's already dead and you're still here, old friend. Accept it."

I couldn't.

Not when there were so many unsaid words between us.

"One day you will have to come for me, death." I could feel my shadows starting to feel awake for the first time in years. "I would rip you out of existence if you dare to come between us."

He could deny as much as he wanted. 

Even he knew I would do just that.

***

I'm back again with a bang! Tell me guys how you liked it. Did you expect Alexei to be completely crazy? Let me know! And thank you for the support in the prologue. Enjoy!