DISTRUSTFUL

EMELINE

I was drowning. 

I was drowning in the endless abyss made of my own memories. I wasn't in the Coven anymore. I was back in Hell, standing in front of thousands of hungry hellhounds. Ironically, that didn't scare me to death. 

The only thing that scared me was the man beside me. 

"You look afraid, my love. What's wrong?"

I refused to take a role in his cruel game. "No-no. I can't be here."

"My sweet Emeline, what happened?" His smile was gentle but I couldn't calm down. Was this a memory or was I really back? "Is this because of her? Did she say something?"

Looking at the woman in question, I wanted to cry. If I was desperate for any way to leave, Prophesy was just there, numb to any feelings. Her only job was to listen to Demos, do anything Demos asked and hurt herself if he wanted to. 

Her life started and ended with him. 

Taking a deep breath, I met his gaze. "You know she's not right in the head. You ruined her, changed her into a creature worse than death. I will never be like her. I don't belong here and I sure as hell don't belong to you!"

"What happened to you? You can't escape Hell, you never wanted to. You promised me an eternity of us!" As soon as the words were out, all the hellhounds jumped at me.

I let out a cry, my eyes opening in shock. Was I still dreaming or was it possible that I never left? 

"Emie!" I heard a scream. It was...Zedkiel? 

I was here, not in Hell, not with those hellhounds.

"I am here, it's real." The words came out in a sob. I must have looked like a mess cause 5132 was there to quickly wrap me in a hug. I wanted to bury my face into her neck and never let go. 

"It's OK, you're here. We are all here, see?" She softly murmured, turning me around so I could watch Allegra in the room along with Zach, Mikhail, and Zed. 

That should have made me feel comfortable. I should have felt safe but I didn't. Not when the memories were still potent. Did I trade one hell for another?

"What happened, Emie?" Allegra asked first. 

"I don't know. How did you find me?" 

"Zach saw you running toward the woods in a rush. He panicked and called for us. We looked everywhere but couldn't find you. So when Zedkiel got to know that you went missing, he immediately went to the woods to look for you. Finally, he found you unconscious in a construction site near the manor." So Zed was the one who found me. I looked at him, fully intent to thank him with a smile that didn't feel so real anymore. 

"Thank you-" He shook his head, making my smile drop. 

"We'll talk later." His voice left no choice for me. I nodded, turning to 5132 who had another question for me. 

"How did this happen?"

"Umm..." I stuttered, trying not to panic now. "I-I panicked so I thought a stroll in the woods will calm me down. But when I reached there, a hooded figure attacked me. I ran but when that didn't work, I tried to dematerialize. I must have miscalculated cause I found myself on a construction site so I decided to hide there. I don't know how I passed out." 

"Shit, Emie, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have overwhelming you with the speech when there are other things bothering you. Like Darkness." I could see the guilt in Allegra's gaze but how could she have known that Lex was the one who hurt me? So the only thing I could do was stand up to wrap my arms around her, the woman who months ago would have killed me for touching her. 

"It's not your fault, Allegra. I-I just need some time." I smiled for their benefit. "It's been a long night. I'd like to rest."

5132 looked like she wanted to argue so I shot her a pleading look. "Please?"

"Fine." She nodded, clenching her jaw. "But anything happens, anything, and you call for me."

Only when I promised to call them that everyone started to get out of the room. Even then Zed hovered over me until everyone left. I stared at him, trying not to cry again. How could I look at him and not reminded of Lex?

"Cut the crap." I jumped at his harsh tone. "I know you saw who attacked you."

"I-I don't know what are you talking about." I looked away but he gripped my chin to make me look at him. Those hazel eyes looked painful and I wanted to slap myself for being so stupid. He lost Lex and now he almost lost me. Of course, he was hurt. 

"It's just..." Words flew from my mouth even before I could stop myself. Maybe it was the desperation in his words or the look he was giving me. "Tonight I-I knew who attacked me. It was Lex, Darkness, I don't know. He was taunting me, trying to hurt me and I had to run away. Was it exactly what you wanted to hear? To tell you that my own husband tried to kill me!?"

"Emie..."

I didn't know why I was shouting at him. Maybe I was throwing my frustration at Lex's friend now that I knew Lex would never come back. We were done, he certainly made sure of that.

"I'll get better, Zed. I know you think I can't but I will. For me, for my sister. For you."

If anything, that made him angrier. His fists were coiled tightly as he gritted out. "He should have paid for what he has done."

"Does it matter?" I asked bitterly. "Perhaps, she was right all along. We are like a doe, always coming back to our cages no matter what. Not because we love to, it's because we forgot how to fly at all." 

And as I turned my back on him, I wondered if that's what Prophesy always felt too...

***

Remember folks, stay at home and wash your hands. I hope you guys are ok! How's quarantine going for you all?