one

CHAPTER ONE home away from home

CHAPTER ONE
home away from home.

...

She had no idea where she was going, but something told her that it was the right way. The plane had landed in the closest place and, now, Nicole was driving a rented Jeep. Might as well blend in, right?

Speaking of fitting in, she had long-since shed the disastrous dress from the night before and settled for skinny jeans, a white shirt, a flannel in varying shades of red, and a leather jacket to protect against the cold.

She blinked blank eyes as she guided the Jeep down main street, seeing everything but noticing nothing.

Then, suddenly, she recognized where she was. As she rolled past that little pharmacy with the alley beside it, she imagined kids biking along that sidewalk. The wind in her hair, the smile in her eyes. It had been quite different way back then, in the 80's, but she could still imagine being a kid in this place.

Her hand seemed to move on it's own, flicking her right signal light on. Nic shrugged and turned the wheel. Her hands guided the car to that Chinese restaurant that she couldn't remember ever existing-- even though being here seemed to dig up such memories.

She pulled her Jeep up to the side of the building, sucked in a deep breath, and shut it of.

Her boots clacked on the rain-covered cement. Three bodies stood at the door, laughing and smiling and... wait a minute.

"Wow, you two aged well." Nicole crossed her arms, smile bright. The bodies stopped talking and turned to her, eyes flying wide. Richie Tozier and Beverly Marsh.

"Holy shit, Nicky. Didn't think I'd have ever been friends with such a big-shot actress. Will you sign my boobs?" Richie cooed, feigning exasperation. Nicole snorted.

"You look wonderful, Nic. Seems time was kind to you." Beverly rolled her eyes.

Richie pointed to the other person there-- a man that Nicole couldn't recognize for the life of her. "Hey, what about mister beautiful here? Just about unrecognizable." They laughed, but Nicole shook her head. She... didn't know.

"Ben." Beverly whispered after seeing the confusion on the poor girl's face. Immediately, Nicole remembered Ben Hanscom, though he had been... different back then. 

"Oh god, I'm so sorry! You just... you look great!" Nicole gestured to him and he smiled shyly.

"Ah, it's nothing. Should we head inside?"