three

CHAPTER THREE the history of derry, in a drugged tea

CHAPTER THREE
the history of derry, in a drugged tea.

...

Nicole flinched as Mike's red brake lights flashed in her vision. She slammed on her brakes and, in turn, Bill's came on behind her. She let out a shaky breath.

They were parked outside of the old history building.

"I can't believe I'm doing this..." She whispered to nobody, because anybody would agree and call her an idiot. "I should be going back home, back to Maisie."

She ran a hand over her face, then shook herself alert and popped the door open.

"Here we are. Thank you both for coming... for giving me a chance." Mike's voice was quiet and soft and made Nicole feel like maybe she had made the right choice in coming here.

"Of course, Mikey... we gotta sick together." They were her words, her voice, but they were far from what was in her head. He let them in and led them upstairs through the old museum, around corners and up a flight of stairs that led to an attic area... which had seemingly been turned into a home. It was cozy enough, at least.

"Can I offer you anything? Water, coffee or... tea?" He stood beside the fridge. Nicole smiled.

"Tea would be nice."

"Water, please."

The pair spoke at the same time and Nicole turned a smile towards Bill without realizing she was doing it. After clearing her throat, Nicole spun away and moved to the side of the room. Papers were sprawled across the table, along with a varying degree of old items scattered around the floor and tucked into corners.

She shoved her hands into her pockets as she inspected a haphazardly-strewn pile of newspaper clippings.

A steaming mug of tea entered her vision, which she happily took and pressed to her lips.

"So... I found a way to stop It. I... you're gonna think I'm crazy." Mike sighed, perching on the table. Nicole took a small sip, noting how closely Mike watched her. Her eyes narrowed.

"Shoot... I doubt it can be crazier than most of the stuff we've witnessed today. Baby-bugs in fortune cookies, for example."

"Well, there's a ritual called the Ritual of Chüd. It was performed by an ancient native tribe hundreds of years ago to be rid of It, and it worked... back then. They used this container to, well, contain him." Mike pulled out a strange old bucket-looking item, then flexed his jaw. Nicole took a bigger gulp of her tea, feeling slightly buzzed. "I... I think its best if I just show you."