twelve

CHAPTER TWELVEprelude to goodbye

CHAPTER TWELVE
prelude to goodbye.

...

"You motherfucker!" Nicole screamed. She was poised to run forward, confident in her ability to rip the clown to pieces with her bare hands.

Then it all moved as a blur as shock moved through her body. She remembered Eddie, blood dribbling from his chin. Richie crying, terrible sounds that ripped your heart from your chest. She remembered crying, too, screaming into her palms as the clown tried to dig it's way down to them.

"Hey, don't cry. Look... at me, Nicky. I'm... I'm j-j-just fine." Eddie gasped through his words. Pain laced his dark eyes, tears brimming the edges. Nic continued to cry.

She remembered following Beverly through a tunnel that emerged on the other side, while It still tried digging them out of the original spot. Richie leant Eddie against some rocks, giving him a more comfortable position and he pressed his coat to Eddie's wound. Nicole helped where she could, but left his side when the others made a break for the exit.

Who knew she would never talk to Eddie again?

The clown cut the group off half-way to the exit, which was apparently not a part of the plan that Nic hadn't paid attention to. She felt as though she was floating above her body, watching everything and doing nothing.

"How else can you make things feel small?" Mike turned to the group, suddenly having an idea. Nicole blinked. How had this group of misfits been treated their whole childhoods?

"You make them feel small, convince them that they are lesser to you... make them think that they are small." She spat, glaring defiantly at the clown. It laughed.

"Oooh, Me? Small? I am all powerful... I feed on your fear. I am the eater of worlds."

"Not to us, you're not." Mike fired back. The clown faltered.

"You're nothing but a clown." Nicole added. The clown shook his head, eyes wide. He decided attacking would be more effective, but he swung for Beverly and was repelled only by her belittling words.

"You're just a clown!"

"A fake, a poser!"

"A weak, pathetic little bitch. A clown. You're a fucking clown!" Nicole screamed. They hurled their insults, making the clown scramble away in terror as nothing he did was effective. It crawled back into it's original landing spot, but now it was weak and pathetic. Nicole looked down on it. The insults didn't stop, it didn't stop shrinking.