EXCERPT

"Ladies and gentleman," Grayson said. "It's time to cut the cake."

He was great at knowing when an event called for long speeches, and when to keep things short and sweet. There was a burst of applause as Mayor Singer and Tazzie approached the cake.

Mayor Singer and his wife each placed one hand on the handle of the knife. They smiled at each other as they cut into the cake. The room ripped into applause.

The Mayor and Tazzie each took a slice in their hand and held it up for the other to eat. Mayor Singer took a big bite; Tazzie a much smaller one. Cameras flashed as Tazzie playfully smashed her slice of cake into her husband's face.

Mayor Singer laughed as the frosting stained his face red. He tried wiping it away, but his face kept growing redder and redder. Tazzie started to look alarmed and began wiping the frosting off him with a napkin. His eyes turned a soft shade of yellow, and he began to blow up like a water balloon about to explode.

The humans at the party began to murmur that he looked ill. The witches began to murmur that he looked hexed. A second later, steam came out of Mayor Singer's ears and he fell sideways into the cake, knocking the whole thing down as he crashed face first into a pile of frosting.

"He's deeeaaad!" Tazzie wailed as friends and family rushed to her side. Her daughter, Kayla, looked like she was about to faint...

* * *