FOUR

The next day, all Mistmoor Point could talk about was Mayor Singer's disastrous party. In a small town, on a small island, there was often little else to do but gossip. And with gossip, of course, came exaggeration.

People who had been at the party made it sound as though Norbert had gone out like a hero. His death would forever be remembered not as a simple poisoning, but as a fierce chase through the restaurant. According to the rumor mill—of which every member in town was guilty of participating in at one point or another—Norbert had caught the poisoner in the act. He had chased them through the restaurant, only to die when the poison overwhelmed his poor tired body. People were saying that it was because of him that no one else had died.

If Norbert were still alive, he would have loved the story. He was as big a gossip as anyone.

I stepped out of the house I shared with my mother and walked along the sandy beach. The water was like liquid sapphire. It shined for miles in whatever direction you looked. I took off my sandals and dug my feet into the sand.

The whole island was about the size of Molokai, a Hawaiian island I had once read about. Around three hundred square miles, it held a population of roughly five thousand. That population was split between Mistmoor and Sweetland Cove. Only a few hundred of the island's residents were S.H.—Strictly Human—the rest were witches.

Of course, most of the tourists were human, so it sort of evened out. We were known for having year-round summers—courtesy of the Witch's Council—and despite the distance from the mainland, we were a sought-after destination for those who had heard of us. Though not many people had. Our nearest neighbors were Florida, and they received most of the attention.

Despite my desire to return to the hospital and check on my mother, I had told Lincoln and Grayson that I was going to investigate this and prove my mother's innocence. I had every intention of following through on that statement. I'd only come home this morning to shower and change.

There was no point in going by the bakery. It was closed until further notice, pending the outcome of Dr. Wallace's toxicology report. Lincoln had texted me late last night to tell me that Cakes and Creations would remain closed until he was sure it was safe to reopen. He'd apologized—sort of.

I'M SORRY. I'M JUST DOING MY JOB. I CAN'T TAKE ANY CHANCES.

I texted him back.

I UNDERSTAND. DOES YOUR JOB ALSO ENTAIL YOU TAKING A LONG WALK OFF A SHORT PIER? IF NOT, I'D LIKE TO MAKE THE SUGGESTION.

Lincoln had stopped texting me after that.

Walking the beach was like therapy for me. I used it to clear my head. The salty air seemed to warm my nose and made my magic that much more potent. Witches all responded to different elements. My element was water.

When I got back to the house after my walk, I grabbed a bottle of juice from the fridge and my keys from the shelf by the door. Sunny came wandering out, looking sleepy.

"How is Mama?" Sunny asked, arching his back. "Is she still in the hospital?"

"Yes," I told him. With everything that had happened, I'd forgotten all about poor Sunny. "How did you know that?"

My mother's familiar was not only smart, but exceptionally clever at getting his way. He wound himself between my legs, purring until I fed him a few treats.

"Sunny gets around," he purred. "She'll be okay." Then he disappeared outside, chasing a bird that had caught his eye.

I wished I could be as certain about my mother's health as Sunny.