EPILOGUE

One year later ...

The bell over the door chimed. I saw my mother's chin hit the floor and looked up to see Blossom standing in our shop with Calista.

"Hello," Calista said, looking at her feet. Blossom stood just behind her. She nudged her forward and Calista took a step toward us. My mother went around the counter.

"Hello, Calista," my mom said. "How are you, dear?"

"I'm fine, thank you. I'm home for Christmas. I only have a week and then I have to go back to..."

"I see," my mother said, nodding with empathy.

Poor Calista. She couldn't even say the name of the place. I didn't blame her. Witch Hill wasn't exactly a resort. It was reserved for young witches and warlocks who had gone bad. More like a kid's prison than a school. I didn't know what exactly went on there, I just knew that it was considered the toughest place to live for witches under eighteen. And Calista had to spend a total of six years there.

Calista snuck a quick look at my mother before looking at her feet again.

"I, um, came to apologize."

"You've already done that," my mother said. "I've received all your letters. They were very kind."

"I mean formally. If you remember, I, um, wanted to make amends when I got out of... of... Witch Hill." She spat the words out of her mouth like they left a bad taste there.

Going to Witch Hill was bad enough. Never being able to do magic again was like an extra punch in the gut. Though I supposed that with Calista, it wasn't such a great loss. Being a dim-witch, her magic was never going to amount to much anyway.

"You've paid your dues," my mom said. "You don't owe me anything accept an apology, and you've already given me that."

"Please," Calista said, looking at my mother now. "I really want to do something for you."

My mother scrunched her brow. "If you really want to do something for me, then go live your life. Be the best person you can and learn from your mistakes. Don't let what happened be for nothing. Do something to help other witches and warlocks who might be set on the wrong path."

Calista thought about it a moment then nodded. "I will," she said seriously. I believed she meant it.

Blossom tapped her shoulder, and Calista turned to go. When we were alone, I turned to my mother.

"It was weird seeing Calista, huh?"

"A little," my mother said. "I know she didn't mean any harm by everything that happened... I hope the rest of her life turns out better."

I agreed with my mom. I truly hoped that Calista kept herself out of trouble. I didn't think she'd get another chance if she messed up again.

I left my mother alone and went into the back to check on our batch of peanut butter giggle bars. I was just taking them out of the oven when the door chime sounded. The door to the back was open to let out some of the heat, and I could easily hear my mother.

"Hello, welcome to Cakes and Creations," my mother said.

"Hi," a girl said. She sounded young, though not as young as Calista had been. "Um, do you... do you have any love potion cakes?"

"Love potion cake? Why yes, I have a small supply that I keep in stock."

"How... how do they work?"

"Whoever eats it will feel a strong feeling of love for several hours. It's not necessarily love for just one person, you understand, but love for all. However, a particular attachment may form to the first person he or she sees."