FIFTEEN

Calista gulped her water. Her eyes were red and swollen. We all stood hovered around her at the police station. Edith and Blossom were seated nearby, staring at the floor. They hadn't said a word since Calista had made her brief confession at the bakery.

"Start from the beginning," Lincoln said.

Blossom looked up. "You don't have to say a word, honey."

Every in the room turned to look at her, and she shrank back.

Lincoln sighed. "Your mom's right. You don't have to tell us anything if you don't want to. It's your right as a witch not to speak. We can have someone appointed from the Witch's Council to represent you."

Calista shook her head. "I'm not a real witch. I don't deserve any help from the council."

I scrunched my brow together. "What do you mean you're 'not a real witch'?"

"I can't do magic. I never could. I've tried, but..." Tears ran down her cheeks in rivers, choking her words. "I never meant to hurt anyone."

"Why did you tamper with Amelia Redfern's desserts?" Lincoln asked.

Grayson was standing behind me. I felt him tense at Lincoln's question. I could tell he was angry and prayed that he managed to keep his temper in check. Calista might be responsible for this mess, but she was still a child. From what she was saying, I had the sneaking suspicion that she had no idea how serious the consequences would be when she started down her path.

"I didn't... I mean, not at first. I just wanted to help Grandma."

Edith looked up, her eyes watery.

"Help me?"

"Yeah. I knew that Mayor Singer's anniversary party was a big deal for you. It wasn't fair that Amelia got it. That bakery... it used to belong to both of you. You should have both gotten the job."

"Oh, dear child," Edith cried. She rose from her seat. Lincoln tensed but did not stop her as she went to Calista and put her arms around her. "I wish you'd spoken to me about your feelings. You had no reason to be so upset."

"But it's not fair!" Calista cried.

"Not everything in life is fair," Blossom said from her seat. She finally sounded mad.

"If you'd spoken to me first," Edith said, kissing the top of her granddaughter's head, "I could have told you that Mayor Singer assured me Creams, Cakes, and Creations would be the ones to cater his birthday party in two months."

Calista's eyes widened. "You are?"

"Well..." Edith said. "I don't know about that anymore, considering. I think we may have to wait and see."

Calista's already pale face went even whiter. "I've cost you the job! And all this time I just wanted to help you!" She buried her face in her hands and sobbed uncontrollably.

Lincoln left the room a minute to get her some fresh water. When he returned, she gulped it down in two swigs. Her eyes took on a glassy look, and she began to smile.

"What was in that water?" Blossom asked.

"Just a calming solution," Lincoln said. "And some Deception Detector," I heard him mutter under his breath.

"Now, Calista, just tell us how you poisoned Amelia's desserts," Lincoln said.

Blossom and Edith winced at the word "poison" but said nothing.

"I didn't mean to poison anyone," Calista said dreamily. "I only wanted to make them fall asleep. I thought it would be funny and that everyone would get mad at Amelia. I didn't know that mixing demigone with Fluffernutter root was deadly."

"What about Nightshade?" I asked. "What was he looking for in my mother's bakery?"

"I asked him to find Amelia's Oven-Hot recipe. I figured if my grandmother had it, the mayor would have to use her bakery for his party. Everyone knows Amelia's cakes aren't nearly as good as my grandma's."

Grayson and I bristled. Calista wasn't lying—the Deception Detector prevented that. As far as she was concerned, her grandmother had the best desserts in all of Heavenly Haven. Although I rather thought that saying "everyone" knew that was quite an exaggeration.

"So it was you who left that note on my car?" I asked.

"Yes." Calista nodded. "I only wanted to scare you so you'd stop investigating."

"And when she didn't stop, you tried to kill her?!" Grayson said, rising in anger from his seat.

Lincoln put a restraining hand on him. Calista continued to look dreamily forward. Whatever Lincoln had slipped into her water was potent stuff.

"I didn't mean to hurt Felicity. I put the Fluffernutter in her snacks, thinking she would fall asleep and wouldn't be able to investigate because she'd be too tired."

That was a simple, foolish thought. The kind only a child could make. I didn't envy Lincoln his job right now. As sheriff, he couldn't just let her go. Not after what she'd done. But she was only twelve. Did she deserve to spend her whole life in jail for a mistake? She hadn't meant to kill Norbert or hurt our mother. It was all an accident. A terrible accident, for sure, but an accident nonetheless.

I didn't think there was a way to resolve this without someone else getting hurt.

Calista looked at Lincoln, her eyes still dreamy.

"Am I going to jail now?"

Everyone looked at him.

* * *