Chapter 6: Night in the Maze

"What's so special about dead Griever?" Thomas asked completely confused. "Dude, really? I've never seen a dead Griever before nor have others. Do you expect us to be calm about it, act like nothing happened at all or what?" Minho rolled his eyes. "I-I didn't know...I'm sorry...I'll just shut up now" Thomas looked down at his feet embarrassed. "Good that, see ya later, shank" Minho got up and walked off.

The next morning he woke up, he still felt slightly embarrassed by yesterday's conversation. "Hey sleepyhead, ready for another day of work?" Newt walked over Thomas' hammock. "Yeah I guess I am..." He inhaled sharply. "Okay, great. Let's go then"

Thomas nodded and slowly got up before heading towards The Gardens again. Working as a gardener was disgusting but at the same time kept him busy, he wasn't going to die from boredom here, at least not now.

It was already afternoon when Thomas finished working, he was tired and hungry. His stomach grumbled. "If you've finished, let's go eat something. I'm starving to death"Chuck offered. "Yeah, same" Thomas whispered and followed Chuck.

"Dude, this is delicious, haven't eaten something like this since my arrival here..." Thomas confessed as he took another bite of sandwich. "I know right? Frypan's food is something" Chuck chuckled softly. Thomas' gaze suddenly fell on Newt. "Is he okay?" Thomas said slightly concerned. "He is deep in his thoughts as always, nothing new"

"I can hear ya shanks, ya know? And no I'm not okay, I don't understand...Alby and Minho were supposed to return ...and they didn't" Newt looked at them gloomily.
"I'm sure they will return sooner or later. Or do you think they ..." Thomas flinched as the thought of their death occurred to him. "No no and no. They bloody couldn't. Don't even mention that, Tommy."

"Okay okay, I just thought that maybe you could send a group of people in there and help them?" Thomas suggested. "There's no way I'm doing that, mate. I don't want to lose more people. I've had enough of death"

"I understand. I'll go by myself there then" Thomas said firmly. "No, Tommy. You ain't going there, drop this idea now" Newt shook his head.

Newt was walking back and forth along the walls. "Yeah I'm going there, no matter the consequences ..." Thomas walked up to Newt. "The walls are about to close and they haven't returned yet" Newt walked away. Thomas stared into the darkness for a while before he spotted two figures. "It's Alby and Minho...they aren't going to make it ..." He hesitated a little before going inside the Maze just right before the walls closed.

To be continued...