One

It was a Saturday. Once again, I was on a bench, by myself, in a park. Another day wasted.

Once again, my best friends were out, without me, on a date with their boyfriends. These two didn't take a particular shine to me. Cat's Boyfriend, Mark, was one of those people who looked down their noses at everyone; but yet somehow attracted a lot of girls' attention, and when I didn't immediately adore him he hated me. Tasha's boyfriend, Kevin, was a boy who was very similar to Tasha in outward appearance; black hair, fringe, blue eyes; but he was cold and mean to me whenever Tash wasn't around; and when she was, he'd glare at me from under his fringe.

Either way, they hate me.

Cat and Tasha attract a lot of boys; Cat by her outward eye candy and Tasha from her mysterious ways. Cat's the sort of person who'd spend most of her time ensuring she looked perfect before she'd left the house, and would always be the centre of attention. She'd wear push up bras, and style her hair in many ways; just so she looked good. Tash is the sort of girl who'd wear heaps of eyeliner; hide away in corners looking cool. She dyed her hair black in year seven. We used to both be brunettes; which made me feel less dull compared with Cat and her blonde hair, blue eyed look.

But now, I feel as boring as ever, if not more so. I'm the kind of girl who'd wear over- sized sweaters and leggings and beanies. I'm the kind of girl; clearly; who'd spend time sat alone on a park bench; and that's how it's been all summer.

I'm nothing compared with them.

The birds roost in nest above my head in the trees nearby; and the leaves have fallen off to form piles on the ground. Autumn is here at last.

The September breeze blows my hair and I look around. I pull out my camera to take some pictures. "Summer's nearly over." I sigh.

A few benches down I noticed a boy; holding a guitar and writing stuff down. I looked at him for a few seconds; and he looked up and I looked away; hoping he hadn't seen me. I pull out my camera and take pictures again.

A text bleeps in from Cat; Meet us at Starbucks in fifteen minutes.

I'll be right there. I replied

I got up to go. As I walked past the boy's bench I quicken my pace and hang my head; so I don't draw any attention to myself.

"Hey."

I stop; was he talking to me?

"Hey!" he says again; exasperated. I do a mental check. No one else is in the park.
"Hello?" He says, "Anyone there?"

"Were you talking to me?"
"Who else could I be talking to?" He asks
"Alright, smartie pants." I snap back cooly. With that, I begin to walk away, but he stops me, "I wasn't finished yet."

I look at him properly for the first time. He's tall; with a mop of messy brown hair and blue eyes; a beanie on his head and a big smile. "What is it?"
"I wanted to ask you something." He smiles, "You take photos?"
"I do." I say, "Why?"
"Well, I've been trying to get photos of myself for the cover of my demo CD so I can send it to record labels and try and get somewhere; but I can't get any good photos."
"A demo?"
"I guess I wanna be something more than 'Guitar boy'"
"Why?" I ask him
"Guitar boy. What they called me all the time at my old school."
"I think it sounds mysterious."
"You do?" He asks

"It's cool." I reply.

He smiles, "But still, I would like to get somewhere, you know, but I can't when I'm without any good photos."
I look down at my phone. I need to get to Starbucks, "I need to go; I'm meeting my friends in like ten minutes."
"Ah." Says the boy.