chapter 34

Hearing Hephaestus ask him to join her Familia, Vahn began seriously considering the idea. He knew if he wanted to grow stronger without drawing too much attention he would need a strong backer, and the Hephaestus Familia was one of the best. There was also a chance that he can convince Hephaestus herself to forge him a weapon since many of the ones within the shop were higher quality than his current sword. If he could get a weapon that can grow, he would have a much easier time in the future when he delves further into the dungeon.

He began to consider his other options, such as the Loki Familia. He was really interested in joining that Familia, as it was home to many memorable characters like Finn, Riveria, the Amazoness twins Tione and Tiona, as well as the infamous airhead Ais, who Bell had fallen for in the manga. His main reason for not joining was because he wanted to join the Hestia Familia later, and there was an ongoing discourse between Loki and Hestia.

Seeing him in deep contemplation, Hephaestus didn't know why, but she began to get a little nervous. She wanted him to join her Familia, but didn't want to pressure him too hard since he may end up being pushed away if she was too firm. Thinking it was due to how she expressed interest in the whetstones that was causing his indecisiveness, she tried explaining things in a manner that would help alleviate his concerns.

"If you're worried I just want to use you for your access to the whetstones, then don't be. My reasons for asking you to join the Familia have nothing to do with any of that. I'm just...curious about your potential. I won't force you to reveal your secrets without your consent, I just want to see how far you can go with my support." Towards the latter half of her words, she began to feel her face heat up. This wasn't like her usual self.

Hearing the reason she had come up with, Vahn couldn't help but let out a smile. Maybe he was overthinking things too much, as there weren't really any downsides to being in a Familia in the first place. He also knew Hephaestus wasn't the type to divulge secrets about the people she cared about. This would also allow him to get close to people within the Loki Familia, since the two different Familia often teamed up together when going on expeditions into the dungeon.

"Thank you, Hephaestus...sama. I would very much like the opportunity to join your Familia." He gave the most polite bow he could manage and waited for her response.

Staring at the boy bowing before her, Hephaestus felt an uncomfortable feeling in her chest. Though she didn't mind him calling her 'Miss' earlier, now that he was agreeing to join the Familia at her request it felt awkward having him address her with 'Sama'. It was almost like a wall was built between them, and she wanted to smash it down to prevent future complications.

"Call me Hephaestus." She stated firmly, causing Vahn to look towards her in confusion. Seeing his expression, she turned her head as a warmth crept onto her cheeks. "I said, you can call me Hephaestus. There is no need for sama or anything like that..."

Vahn nodded in agreement but found her actions to be very peculiar. It was almost like she was...shy? He knew she had a soft spot for people due to her trauma, but he didn't imagine it had such an immediate effect on their relationship. He actually felt a bit guilty but shook the thought away since he genuinely didn't find her eye to be disgusting. In fact, he wanted to help her heal it, but the only solution Sis came up with was to learn alchemy.

Noticing she had started looking at him as if waiting for his response, Vahn smiled while gently calling, "Hephaestus."

Hearing the intimate way in which he spoke, it felt like electricity went up the back of her spine. She could feel her heartbeat accelerate, and tried to cover her embarrassment with a cough. "Hmmf, anyways. Let's go ahead an perform the crest ceremony. I want to see how strong you are and if you have any potential in becoming a blacksmith. Don't worry though, even if you can't become one, I'll still allow you to be my assistant...or you can venture into the dungeon and collect materials. Though most of the members in my Familia are craftsman, we aren't completely without capable explorers, else we'd be at the mercy of other Familia to procuring materials."