chapter 95

After Vahn had calmed down, he stared at the wreckage of the forest around him. Though he still had a lot of emotions swirling about in his body, he was at least able to rid himself of the majority of the problematic ones through physical exertion. There were more than a dozen trees that had been turned to mulch and several giant boulders that had been ground into fine powder in his immediate area.

Releasing a powerful sigh, Vahn began making his way back to the campsite. He still needed to meet the representative of the Hephaestus Familia to explain the situation. Now that he would be joining the expedition, he would have to follow along with the plans of those in charge. After seeing how well everyone coordinated with each other, Vahn didn't want to be the one to cause chaos and unrest in the group.

Arriving at the camp, Vahn made his way toward the largest red tent. Several people gave him strange looks, as he wasn't part of the original party, but nobody stopped him. Once he made it to the tent, he entered through the opening and came across a mature man eating breakfast alongside a woman. The man looked to be in his early thirties and had a powerful build with a neatly trimmed beard that merged into the blazing red hair on his head. The woman next to him had a beautiful, yet sleepy looking, face with drooping purple eyes and green hair fixed into a loose ponytail. She had a supple figure without any fat and rather large breasts restrained by the dark purple breastplate she was wearing.

The moment Vahn entered the tent, the man put down his utensils and spoke in an amicable manner. "You must be Vahn Mason, the 'Vulcan', correct?" Vahn was surprised that he was identified, but didn't think it was that odd as he had been left inside a tent earlier. Seeing his surprise, the man continued, "No worries kiddo. Riveria and the little amazon girl came by and explained things. Also, you're pretty famous within the Familia, so it was pretty easy to identify you." At the last part, the man started laughing and Vahn thought it was odd.

"Famous? Why? I haven't done anything..." As Vahn spoke, the woman began to laugh with a bell-like tone that sent a chill down one's spine. "Hephaestus-sama is quite fond of you and spread your image around in the Familia, Mr. Vulcan~" The lady looked at him with her sleepy eyes and Vahn almost averted his away instead of looking toward her.

In response, the man nodded his head and continued, "Yes, that is correct. Goddess Hephaestus told us that, if we were to meet a boy of your description in the dungeon, we should do our best to ensure your safety. I never expected to see you here on the 18th floor, much less accompanying the main party of the Loki Familia!" The man started laughing and nearly knocked the glasses on the table over.

The woman gave the man a sidewards glance and he quickly stopped laughing. After pretending to cough for a bit, the man spoke up."Ah, let me introduce myself. I'm Grant Messer, Level 3 and representative of the Hephaestus Familia for this commission. People call me the 'Sledgehammer'." As he said his title, the man patted the massive brown and orange hammer to his right.

After his introduction, the woman smiled toward Vahn and said, "And I'm Meryl Messer, his wife, also Level 3 and people call me the 'Witch'. Though, I would prefer if you just call me Meryl. I've never been fond of my nickname." When the woman had said her alias, Vahn saw a cold glint in her eyes that made him feel that, if he called her by that, he would likely pay a price.

Once all the introductions were made, Grant talked to Vahn about the purpose of their mission and his role should he decide to join them. They were currently on an expedition to collect various items between the 25th and 30th floor, with their ultimate goal being the bones and scales of the Bloodsaurus on the 30th floor. If Vahn joined the expedition, as he was both a capable fighter and apprentice blacksmith, he could either protect the group alongside the vanguard or stay in the back and perform maintenance and various other tasks.