chapter 140

Once Vahn returned to his room, he had the system scan the information inside of the books and store it in his mind. Similar to what he did with manuals, Vahn was able to retain the information in the system and then read it at a later date. It also provided information to Sis, so if there was something he overlooked, she might be able to help him out. Vahn didn't have anything like a perfect memory, but his recollection with the support of 'The Path' and Sis could be very useful.

Vahn perused the information for a bit, especially the areas regarding social etiquette and hierarchal relationships. There were several things on the various courting rituals and how both men and women sought mates. The more Vahn read, the more he understood just how badly he had messed up. If he saw things from Nanu's perspective, he would have also been misled by his actions. Vahn tried to recall all the events that happened in order, so he would be able to make better sense of everything...

It all started the moment he accepted the children into his house along with Anubis. The moment he became the 'Alpha', all the children immediately respected his position, even if they weren't fond of his character. From that point on, if Vahn had acted impartially and confidently, there wouldn't have been any issues. His first mistake was treating the two girls, Nanu and Chione, as different entities compared to the other children.

Since Vahn had felt guilty for pinning the two girls backsides with his arrows back on the 18th floor, he was always a bit awkward around them. He tried to be nice whenever he could because he wanted to make up for any grievances they had suffered at his hands. Unfortunately, since he was treating them 'differently' from the rest of the pack, they interpreted that as him having an interest in them. The longer he treated them kindly, the greater the impact would have been, and it wouldn't be long before one of them responded to his 'advances' out of necessity.

Once Nanu was chosen to be his assistant due to her [Blacksmith] skill, Vahn needed to immediately treat her like a student. He needed to be firm with her, and make sure she followed his orders without hesitation. Instead, he always paid attention to her efforts, even when he was working on his own ingots. From her perspective, this was him continuing to give her a 'signal' that he was interested in her, not as a student, but as a potential suitor.

The biggest problem before that though, was when Anubis had helped him test the effects of [Enkidu] in his workshop. Instead of dismissing Nanu, he allowed her to stay in the room while he had Anubis act in a submissive manner toward him. Since Anubis was higher than her in the hierarchy, but he allowed Nanu to see their intimacy, it was similar to saying she was also special.

When Anubis called her over to check her Status, Nanu had been paying close attention to Vahn's expression. Instead of looking away or acting disinterested, Vahn instead locked eyes with the girl throughout the entire process. From Nanu's perspective, this was the same as acknowledging and being okay with her presence around him. The fact that he held eye contact with her, even though she was lower in the hierarchy, was the same as elevating her position according to customs.

After Anubis had been dismissed, instead of immediately asking her to get dressed, Vahn entered a 'contemplative' state while still facing toward her. Since he had been thinking about all the women around him being 'pregnant' in his mind, it must have looked to Nanu like he was inspecting her body and having 'intentions' about her body. It didn't help that, the moment Vahn's contemplation ended, he had a smile due to his own excitement. He remembers that, at the time, Nanu looked at him with a reverent expression and seemed to be very pleased when he gave her permission to wear her clothes.

When they were working, he never ignored her and continued helping her out in all of her work. From Nanu's perspective, it was essentially him helping her increase her own capabilities to make her more compatible with him. When the entered the bath, Nanu started sending him 'signals' of her own by undressing next to him. Typically, it was inappropriate for someone of a lower stature to change next to someone else, but Vahn allowed her to do so and even gazed at her figure periodically.