Chapter Twelve

“Levi, you'll never leave me alone again, right?”

“Why would I leave a brat like you alone? You’ll end up getting yourself killed.”

She pouts, squinting her usually big hazel eyes. “I wouldn’t! I could definitely take care of myself!”

“You’re only thirteen,” he says flatly. “You’re still a child. A naive, bratty, incompetent child.”

“You’re so mean,” she whines. “Why are you always so mean to me?”

“I’m mean to everyone.”

“Not true!”

“It is.”

When he turns his back to face the stove, she walks up behind him and hugs him tightly around the waist. “You’re not always mean to me, actually,” she says quietly into the back of his shirt. “Whenever I’m scared or hurt or I need you, you’re always really nice to me actually. Sometimes, you’re really sweet and kind and gentle.”

He grumbles slightly, forcing away the blush on his cheeks. He scratches the back of his head, feeling the shaved part of his hair underneath the black fringe. “Either way, you’re still a brat.”

“And you’re the strange one who takes care of the brat.”

~~

As Levi watched the Scouts training, he couldn’t help but sigh. Such incompetency, he thinks to himself. So slow and weak.

“Corporal, aren’t you going to practice?” Hanji asks the small man, placing a hand on his shoulder.

“Hanji,” he says flatly. “Aren’t you?”

“I’ve been talking to the Commander about Eren,” she replies, unfazed by his cold tone. “We want to more tests on his Titan form, to see how cognizant he is in that form.”

“He’s a whiny brat,” Levi comments. “But in his Titan form, he is strong. Some of the recruits told me that in his Titan form, he took out a good number of Titans, especially the one’s surrounding the supply depot during the skirmish in Trost. He’s the reason they survived, they say.”

“Sounds like you owe him then,” Hanji says with a wink and smile, elbowing him in the side.

“I owe him nothing.”