Chapter Seventeen

The moment Nora saw the short raven walking towards her, she knew she was in trouble.

“Oi, you clumsy brat! Get the hell over here!” he yells down the halls, attracting the attention of everyone in the vicinity. “If I have to go over to you, we’ll have a big problem!”

“Nora, is everything alright?” Bertholdt asks nervously, looking down at the curly haired girl next to him. “Corporal Levi looks really mad…”

“I’m guessing he found out where I chose to go tomorrow,” she says with a sigh, looking up at him. “Sorry, guess I won’t be coming with you all tomorrow,” she adds with a sad smile, waving to him and walking down the hallway towards the fuming Corporal.

He grabs her wrist and drags her through the halls until they find a desolate corridor. Once he finds some place, he lets go of her wrist and looks angrily at her, eyes narrowed and brows furrowed.

“Are you fucking insane?” he starts off, grabbing her shoulders and shaking her. “Did you really think I wouldn’t notice?”

“Levi, calm down,” she says softly, squishing his face with her small hands.

“Geth war hans owf my fwase,” he replies angrily, pulling her hands off of him. “This isn’t funny, Nora.”

“Levi, it’s a suspicious Titan sighting within the Walls. There wasn’t even a breach anywhere. What’s the harm in me going to check it out?”

“What if there is a breach when you’re over there?”

She tilts her head to the side, quirking an eyebrow at him. “Dunno what you’re thinking, Levi, but the likelihood of that happening is very low. Besides, I want to prove to you that I’m capable of surviving on my own, even if it is for a small little job like this. Do you really trust me that little?” she asks, her last sentence finishing with a choked out cry.

“You dummy,” Levi replies softly, pulling her into a tight hug. “I don’t trust anyone else going on that trip to protect you. If something was to happen to you while they all made it home safe… Well, I would beat the shit out of them.” He pulls away, gently bopping her on the head.

“Fine, fine,” she sighs, leaning back against the wall. “I can’t stand to see you pout. But next time there’s something like this, let me go, okay?”

“No.”

_____

Levi was sleeping.

Or, trying to sleep.

The smell of something on fire pierced his nostrils, stirring him from his sleep. He thought he was imagining it, but as his eyes slowly opened, there was no denying it.

Something was burning.

He threw his covers off of his body, running from his room and into the kitchen. “Nora!” he yelled, looking anywhere for the small teenager amidst the smoke. “Nora! Where are you?” he coughs out, swatting his hand to break up some of the smoke.