part sixteen ~ get out of the closet (2)

Stephen's Coming Out Story

*

{set in the New York Sanctum, at the beginning of Thor: Ragnarok. includes the scenes with Doctor Strange}

It was a perfectly normal day in the Sanctum Sanctorum. Stephen was sitting in his library, casually reading a book on nonsensical dimensions of the multiverse, when somebody popped up on his Earth-Threatening Beings radar.

Loki Odinson - with his brother, Thor.

Sighing, because he really was quite interested in his book, Stephen got up and devised a plan to trap him.

"A falling trap ought to do it," he said quietly to himself.

After executing his plan and leaving a note for the God of Thunder, he waited a moment before -

Knock, knock.

He smiled and let the man inside. He watched as Thor looked cautiously around him and then revealed himself, floating over the staircase.

"Thor Odinson," Stephen greeted, floating towards Thor, who held up an umbrella threateningly. "God of Thunder. You can put down the umbrella."

Thor carefully placed the umbrella into a rack that Stephen had summoned to them. In a flash, the two of them appeared in another room. Stephen now leaned against a wall. Thor heeded him, as though unsure whether to trust him or not. He began fiddling with a multi-piece artifact on a table nearby.

"So," Thor said. "Earth has wizards now?" He promptly knocked over the artifact and tried his best to put it back, ultimately failing.

"The preferred term, is Master of the Mystic Arts - you can leave that now."

Thor turned to him, only slightly embarrassed, and leaned on the table.

"Alright, wizard," he said. "Who are you and why should I care?"

"My name is Doctor Stephen Strange and I have some questions for you," Stephen replied. "Take a seat."

In an instant, both he and Thor were settled in two comfortable armchairs. Thor looked completely discombobulated.

"Tea?" Stephen offered.

A cup appeared in Thor's hand. He looked down at it. "I don't drink tea."

"Then what do you drink?"

"Not tea."

And replacing the cup, there was now a flagon of beer. Thor shrugged and took a sip.

"So, I keep a watch-list of individuals and beings from other realms who may be a threat to this world. Your adopted brother, Loki, is one of those beings."

Thor had finished his beer and glanced in surprise at the glass as it refilled itself. "That's a worthy inclusion."

Stephen leaned forward. "Then why bring him here?"

"We're looking for my father."

"So," Stephen started. "If I was to tell you where Odin was, all parties concerned would promptly return to Asgard?"

"Promptly." Thor smiled.

"Great. Then I'll help you."

"If you knew where he was, why didn't you call me?"

"I have to tell you, he was adamant that he did not want to be disturbed. Your father said he had chosen to remain in exile. And you don't have... a phone."

"No, I don't have a phone, but you could have sent me an electronic letter - it's called an email."

"Yeah, do you have a computer?"