part twenty-seven ~ midnight in venice (5)

The last, and highly anticipated part to Midnight In Venice - enjoy!

Venice

Loki sat with his arms around his knees, his back against his headboard and his eyes glued to the flaky painted wall opposite his bed. He couldn't sleep. His eyelids drooped and he yawned at least once every five minutes but his mind was electric, his thoughts racing.

His heart was aching for his phone to ring, for Steve to tell him their plan had been a success. But how could it? The whole idea was far-fetched, Loki knew that. It killed him, this hope. It snatched pieces of his sanity away.

He shivered. Goosebumps spread across his bare back. His eyes swayed to his phone again.

It started buzzing.

Apart from his eyes widening, Loki didn't budge. He stared and stared. Then -

Answer it, dammit!

And he jumped off the bed and pressed "answer".

"Thought you weren't gonna pick up," came a deep, cheerful voice.

"F - Fury?"

"That's me, now, look - "

"But how did you - how are you alive? Did - did Rogers' plan work?"

"Sure did," Fury chuckled. "Now I hope you're not sleepin' cause we've gotta kick Thanos' ass again. You up for it?"

"Thor decapitated him, he's gone."

"Yeah, our present Thanos is gone but Thanos from the past came back to get revenge."

"So there's gonna be what? A battle?"

"You betcha. There'll be a jet arriving for you in the next minute. It'll take you to Wakanda where you'll join Wanda, T'Challa and Wilson in the portal going to the battlefield. Follow Wanda, she's got the full plan. I don't got the time to tell you 'bout it now."

"I'm on my way."

He put the phone down, his heart racing and thundering and weeping inside him. He could see Stephen today. He was intrigued to meet Wanda as well, upon hearing of her power from Thor as he got caught up, she sounded like someone he'd like.

He took a deep breath and phased into his battle armour once more. It was the first time since the incident at the Garden. He shook out his hands and rolled his shoulders. The whizzing of an aircraft could be heard from outside.

It's game time.

Time wasn't on their side. Loki arrived in Wakanda sharply, met the team, and was ushered through a portal with Wanda. The battlefield was barren of anything but rubble and blood. His eyes caught Cap's as the soldier stood alone, staring at the gathering army in awe, a smile taking over his face.

With a determined pride, Loki slid his helmet on and climbed a mound of rubble, surveying Thanos' army and the destruction. Last time he'd faced Thanos head-on, he hadn't had nearly as much support and he felt his confidence skyrocket as he glanced behind him. The Avengers, his brother, the Guardians, though no Carol and he suspected there was a reason for that, the Wakandan army, all the sorcerers -

His heart stopped.

There he was.

Stephen Strange stood braced with his magic mandalas, talking to a stout, dark-haired man. His lip was cut and his cloak was dusty but flowing beautifully. Loki let out a breath of disbelief. He didn't realise someone could change so much in such a short period of time.

He barely had time to catch his breath when a loud, commanding voice echoed,

"Avengers, assemble!"