Chapter 38

Thora Hawthorn:

For two hours I pour over maps with my father. We go through every scenario but everyone of them comes to a dead end. My dad sets up the public meeting tomorrow in the square while I read over protection documents.

After Gio walked out of here I assumed he needed some alone time, which I am more than willing to give him. But when he left the worst headache took me by surprise and is making me irritable. I woke up feeling hot. Actually burning hot and I slipped from the bed to shower before Gio woke up. It had helped and helped even more when kissed me good morning and held my hand all the way to my fathers office. I know what is going on. Well I mean it could be one of two things. The first one being that I have an illness and the second is that I am in heat.

Heat almost never happens now. Once you mark your mate usually mating comes soon after. However, Gio and I have no completed the process meaning my body is desperately trying to tell me to do it. What comes from this point on is only pain.

"Thora? Are you okay? You're sweating and shaking." My father asks putting his hand on my forearm. I screech in pain and dip away from his hand on my forearm. "Thora?" He yells and I turn to look at him.

"I t-think I need a n-nap," I stutter.

He shakes his head "Are you sick?"

"No," I back away from his towards the door "I am g-going to m-my room to take a n-nap."

"Should I call-"

"No!" I yell before shaking my head "Sorry. I just need sleep I'm a little stressed." He nods confused and lets me leave the room.

I flea from the office and down the hall shakily as Nadia picks up her pace to keep up with me. I can see on her usually stoic face that she is worried and boy I am too. I pause halfway to my room and lean against the wall looking at her.

"Highness?" She asks coming closer to me. I put my hand out and yell out in pain clutching my head. "Highness! I am going to call the doctor." she says frantically and I shake my head.

"Gio," I mumble and she looks at me crazy. "I'm in heat. Get me to Gio."

"I don't know where his is," She says grabbing my arm making me scream out again.

I push through the pain and push my conscious through to Sam. He tells me that Gio has been in our room for about an hour. "My room," I pant out in more pain from the mind link then I should have been. She quickly nods and practically drags me down the hall towards my room.

In record time we come upon the door and I see Sam do a double take at me as Nadia pulls me around the corner "Should I call-" He starts but Nadia growls stopping his words.

"She's in heat," Nadia informs and I internally groan as I know now everyone will know. "Open the door."

Sam beats on the door and nothing happens. Another sharp wave of pain hits me hard and I wince almost falling to the floor. Sam knocks harder this time and the door opens reveling an Gio. He stands there with his hand on his head wincing in pain before he looks up. Our eyes lock and he growls grabbing me quickly from Nadia.

Just his touch makes me moan out the pain subsiding just a little. His eyes darken as he left me bridal style and goes back into the room without another word. He closes the door with his foot and doesn't bother with the lock.

He sets me down on the bed and then stand at his full height away from me. "What's going on?"

"I'm in heat." His eyes widen and I see the panic in his face "Don't worry you don't need to mat me right now I just ne-need you close to me," I whisper as another wave of pain hits me.