CHAPTER 6

15 days after the Battle of Crait- On board the Finalizer

"Sir, we'll reach Coruscant in about eight minutes. "

Sergeant Datish's face faded away from the holocom to make way for the half-dozen technical blueprints projecting a bluish halo in the semi-darkness of the meeting room. Kylo Ren greeted the information with indifference, staring at the detailed plans in front of him and at the intrigued faces of the Knights of Ren, sitting in their chairs all around the table. Sylla was the only one not there. Even Hux was present. It was he who, for the past fifteen minutes, had been explaining the latest technological advances made by their teams of scientists.

"It's absolutely amazing," the general said enthusiastically. "We will make a phenomenal leap forward in the field of armament."

Shortly before the completion of Starkiller base, the First Order explorers sent to the far reaches of the galaxy made an interesting discovery in the unknown regions: a seemingly ordinary and habitable planet on which they had, first and foremost, thought to install a new training center for stormtroopers. But to their surprise, further study of the planet revealed the existence of a multitude of underground kyber crystal deposits. The mines on Lothal were almost depleted, as well as those on the few other planets that had once produced the precious source of energy. Ilum had been sacrificed to become the Starkiller base. And now, there was nothing left. This promising planet, dubbed Sato, was a real godsend and assured the First Order a new energy monopoly.

Snoke then ordered the establishment of a research center. The planet also harbored many rocky canyons dotted with shallow caves, inside which was a strange, unlisted ore. And it turned out that this mineral was able to greatly amplify the power of the kyber crystals when combined.

"The ore acts as a catalyst. I'll spare you the details, but it seems that if we combine the crystals with the ore in the right proportion, we could multiply their energy output by a thousand."

Silence reigned around the table. Hux was rather proud of the effect his news had on his audience.

"Supreme Leader," he dared, "we could revive the construction of a new Starkiller base using this planet. Snoke had ordered new plans. You have them in front of you right now. Sato is about the same size as Ilum, and this time we would not make the same mistakes in ..."

"No," Ren cut him off in an unequivocal tone.

Hux, taken aback, shot him an indignant look.

"But we need ... "

"I said no, General!"

This time, Kylo's icy look pierced the soldier, who closed his dry mouth and swallowed his saliva.

"I do not want a new Starkiller base," he said. "I want five."

Hux thought for a moment that he had misunderstood and stared at him with round eyes. Ren did not give him time to recover from his surprise.