CHAPTER 3

8 days after the battle of Crait - the new Resistance base - planet Arbra

Rey's room was small but comfortable. Her faithful staff leaned on the wall next to her bunk; it had been her only possession for so long. When she was thirteen, she had swapped an imperial cruiser compressor for it from a merchant on Jakku named Watts. Ever since then, it had saved her life countless times and never been far from her side. Now though, she also had Luke's saber, or what was left of it anyways, in her possession.

The pieces of the sword sat on the table facing her next to some of the books she had stolen from Ahch-To. The rest were sprawled out across her bed and her lap. She had been consulting their pages in hopes of finding information on the construction of sabers. Most of the passages she had found however were written in a language she couldn't understand, but luckily, they came with diagrams that depicted how the pieces were supposed to fit together. After spending some time studying the pictures, she had undertaken the careful dismantling of the weapon. From what she could understand; the Jedi who built their own sabers had to do more than just connect the separate parts. One or more kyber crystals formed the heart of the device, but their installment required absolute concentration and mastery over the Force.

How exactly she was to go about achieving that though, the books didn't say.

Each part of the dismantled sword was now spread out in front of her: the energy cell, the magnifier, the blade emitter, the power port, the flux stabilizer, and the three famed crystals. One of them had a blackish hue unlike the other two that glittered brilliantly blue. The shock wave that had hit both her and Kylo in the throne room had rendered it unusable. The crystal had to be replaced but she couldn't risk going alone to Lothal* because the planet was in enemy territory, and she probably wouldn't be finding a new kyber crystal amongst Arbra's forests.

The young woman sighed as she noisily closed the book in her lap. She couldn't help her mind from wandering back to Luke.

What a waste!

She felt her throat close as tears welled up in her eyes.

She didn't know a single thing and she had so many questions. None of which the old books would ever be able to answer for her.

Her tears began to flow as guilt washed over her like a tidal wave.

She hadn't been able to bring Kylo Ren back to the Light Side, and she would never succeed in repairing the saber. She was useless. The only thing she was good for was collecting junk on Jakku and waiting in vain for the return of parents that had never wanted her in the first place.

In the middle of her fit, someone knocked on the door. She quickly wiped her wet cheeks off as best as she could.

"Come in!" She called when she felt presentable.

The door slid open and Leia's silhouette stood framed in the doorway. The general greeted her with a tired smile before she entered the room.

"May I?" She asked, gesturing to the bunk next to Rey.