Chapter 23

Following their winter retreat and the events that happened alongside it, the E-Class returned back to their usual uneventful, monotonous school days. Or, at least that was how it should've been. Something was happening and they could all feel the tension in the air. Karasuma and Irina were on guard and Karma and Nagisa put on solemn airs. Even Korosensei, who usually lightened the spirit, seemed to have his mind elsewhere.

Lucy's eyes strayed outside as the rest of the class paid attention to Irina's English lecture. Sebas had started accompanying Lucy to her classes for after what had happened, it had become a necessity for him to keep a watch on Lucy. Especially today, word came that Shiro would be stopping by and when rechecking the state of the mansion, they realized that he had erased all traces of his presence there to avoid people catching onto his trails, something that he had never bothered to do within that mansion for to him, it was a safe haven where no outsiders were allowed. But, he had erased his own being from it and the final piece of evidence was when retrieving the land documents, the entire property had been placed under Sebas's name.

The bell rang, signaling the end of class and Lucy stood up.

"Lucy-san," Nagisa stopped her just as she was about to leave. "Is everything fine?"

She blankly stared at him before nodding her head.

Nagisa furrowed his brows. "Something's happening right?"

Lucy wavered, not willing to meet his eyes. Narrowing his eyes, he took ahold of her hand, his eyes clear and unfaltering. Sebas looked at Nagisa and closed his eyes, giving his silent acknowledgment. He truly was a rare talent and despite his old age, he could tell that his potential was only growing. With how he is right now, he could go up against Irina and easily overpower her.

"Lucy-sama," Sebas said.

The two stared at each other before Lucy finally gave a nod.

"Don't do anything reckless," she said.

He smiled. "The same could be said of you."

She gave a helpless smile and glancing towards the doors of the classroom, she saw Korosensei throw her a quick glance, a reassuring smirk upon his face. She smiled. She truly was blessed. Not once would she have ever thought that she would have so many people standing by her side as both her ally and her friend.

This time, she wasn't going to waver.

She smiled. "There really was only one choice to begin with."

For the people who she found herself wanting to protect, she was willing to cross paths with those who she had considered her family. If it means throwing away the Fairy Tail name, then so be it. This was her life and her decisions and no one could take that right from her. Not even Fairy Tail.

"Sebas."

"Yes," he bowed.

"Have Yuri and the others on standby," she looked forward with determined and undoubting eyes. "It's time we end this little show."

Sebas smiled and bowed. "As you command."

At the Mansion~

Just as Lucy had predicted, after a few days, Shiro had finally arrived and everyone knew that it wasn't going to be simple. By now and after that auction event, Shiro must've surely caught on and if he didn't...well, it would be laughable.

The Combat Maids were lined up, ready to move as soon as there was a slight movement. Sebas stood by Lucy's side while the latter stood there at the bottom of the stairs, facing the entrance to which Shiro would arrive. Nagisa and Korosensei had concealed their presence and watched from afar for in case anything went awry.