Chapter 6.5

My name is Anne Maron. I was born into a noble family and was the eldest daughter of the marquis family. My family consisted of my father, my mother, my younger sister and me. Together, we lived a happy life, even though the country was currently going through war.

Yes, it was indeed a happy family.

That was until the king took a liking to my mother...It was then that I realized how helpless I was. I was stupid enough to believe in happiness in this kind of world.

My father was murdered for trying to stop the king and later on, my mother was also killed. All I had left was my little sister. Because I didn't want to feel the pain anymore, I locked my heart away and only focused on protecting my younger sister.

At the age of fifteen, I started to serve the only princess of Razel. She was just like a doll, beautiful silky blond hair and round sparkling purple eyes. Just by looking at her, I knew that she grew up without knowing the ways of the world. At least, that was what I thought.

Even though she was an eight year old girl, she seemed more mature than I was. A day after she heard of her father's death, there was no sign of sadness nor happiness in her eyes. More than anyone in the whole palace, she was the calmest. As she made her way through the hall with her small body and tiny steps, you could clearly see that she was a child, but her behavior showed the opposite of that. I walked steadily behind her and watched her back. There was no sign of hesitation at all.

Then, as she took her seat at the front of the royal council meeting room, in front of all the royal ministers, I realized it. She was meant to be queen. Her clear eyes over watching the council room and her soft yet mature voice that echoed through the whole room. For the very first time, I felt comfortable again. I felt safe and I knew as long as she was there, something was definitely going to change.

[...]

After princess Katherine had been crowned as a queen, she was given the order to take Queen lessons. Unlike anything an ordinary noble child should go through, this training was especially hard and I wasn't even sure, if she was going to make it. To begin with, I wasn't even sure anymore, if she should be queen or not. I kept doubting myself, so I just kept watching over her.

More than anyone, I was sure that she wouldn't make it through the first day of her queen lessons. Even I had problems with the normal noble lessons, so I couldn't even imagine how hard these lessons would be.

However, everyone thought wrong. She was perfect in every way. Even all the elite teachers couldn't keep up with all her knowledge. After only a year, she went through all the foundations and even the advanced classes. She was a genius you could only find every thousand years.

As soon as she was done with her etiquette lessons, literature, ancient language and basic knowledge, she was required to take sword lessons, in order to be able to defend herself. In the beginning, she couldn't lift a sword, but she had the everything from the basic stance to the basic grip down. Many would say that it was enough that she was smart, but I knew that that wasn't the only thing she was good at.

At times, I would witness her practicing secretly at the training ground. Normally, a princess, much less a queen, was required to take care of her body, but there wasn't a single hint in her eyes showing that she cared.

After a few days, she was able to lift the word and another few days later, she could properly swing the sword around without struggling anymore.

Sir Ferguson Straphus, her sword teacher and also a master of swordsmanship took a liking to her. He was known to be very cruel on the battle field and also an alcoholic, who would do almost anything for alcohol and wine. Even though he hated the king so much, it wasn't like that at all for the princess. In fact, it was as if he was treating her as his own daughter.

Even so, I didn't get the same feeling from princess Katherine. She would exchange very few words only and only show a faint smile. Unlike everyone, she didn't show much of her expressions except a smile, which was always hung up on her face. During sword training, she would wear a serious expression and while concentrating on something, she wouldn't show an expression at all. It was as if she had distanced herself from everyone. It was kind of lonely.

Everyday was the same from then onwards. I would take care of my maid duties and then go to serve the princess, who would practice from early in the morning to late in the afternoon. Honestly, I started to get concerned over the princess's health. She would often skip meals and even if she got a chance to eat, she would immediately be interrupted again. That is why I would try to stuff as much food into her as possible.

One day, while I was on my way to pick up the princess from her lessons, I witnessed a very rare sight. While the princess was exhaustingly sitting on the ground and talking with Sir Ferguson, the princess smiled. It was the first time I saw her smile that happily and more than anything, it was the most beautiful smile I've ever seen.

Sir Ferguson seemed used to it, but I was sure that also he knew how rare it was to see the princess smile from the bottom of her heart.

[...]

Two years passed and the princess became 11 years old. In just three years, she managed to complete her Queen lessons. Rumors spread throughout the country and many people doubted it was true. Those who believed the rumors had doubt in the capabilities of the princess, because of her young age.

The royal ministers suggested for princess Katherine to have an audience with the people in the throne room.

As the people gathered in the throne room, princess Katherine made her way to the throne chair. The villagers and many others, who came from different parts of Razel, were astonished an taken aback. Just like a painting, the princess walked down the red carpet, while being surrounded by knights and the people bowing down to her.

Most of the people, who had come to complain and cuss at the princess were lost for words and only stared.

Indeed, she grew up to become such a beautiful person. Long blond hair and clear and mature purple eyes that were similar to gemstones. A nation's beauty and our queen.

I am sure that this country will definitely change...because she is our queen after all.

To be continued...