Chapter 10: Mare

Enjoy the torture. AND PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!!-😈

I wake up and briefly wonder where I am. Then I remember. Whitefire palace. I nearly jump out of my skin when I turn to see Maven watching me. He's sitting on the bed, and appears to be clasping my hand. I try to pull away.

Suddenly he says "I will hold your hand Mare. And you will listen to what I say." After he says that, the urge lessens. Why shouldn't Maven tell me what to do? Why shouldn't his every wish be fulfilled? He is king after all. I relax. I even smile. "Good girl," he whispers, "they told me it would work and I'm not disappointed. I'm afraid it will have to happen each month, but it won't be as bad. Because you're a good girl who listens, aren't you, my darling?" I nod my head happily. He begins to pet me on my head and I let him, leaning on his lap.

Soon he says, "Time for a walk." I happily obey, walking like a well trained show horse. We pass through hallways of glittering jewels and statues. Suddenly we stop. I see Iris in the hallway. Maven unclipps my collar. "Go set that chandelier on an electric fritz. Make sure Iris sees you. Then run from her. And don't condrict a word I say. Understood?" I nod. I walk toward Iris, as smooth as a Silk. The second she sees me her eyes widen and the whole room goes up in flames as the chandelier crashes to the floor, sputtering electricity.

Just as she begins to douse the flames I send a bolt of lightning her way. For my parents, I think, and Kilorn. Then I dash away as I her shouts of "Let's get her!" and "That filthy red won't last long." fill the room. They no doubt know I killed Iris. I get around a foot away from the room when I am apprehended by both Lakelander and Nortan soldiers. The Lakelanders look furious. After all, I killed their princess. They begin to send their abilities at me in a flurry. I scream. It hurts so much. I don't understand. I did as His Majesty commanded. What is wrong? Then the king comes in. "Enough! I understand your pain, my queen and your princess has been killed. However, the girl requires a different punishment. The sounder device." I shudder. I hate the sounder. And I still don't understand. I did what he asked, so it can't be wrong. So why am I being punished? But it's not my place to say. So I stay quiet.

Maven continues. "Due to this tradegy, the entire court of the Lakeland's and Norta must gather in order to properly mourn dear Iris. Please send for them." He looks like he is going to cry. Poor Maven. When they leave, he smirks and puts my collar back on. "Well, I know now the extent that I have you. Good job Mare." I preen like a peacock. I am so proud that I have satisfied my king. "I have something for the funeral planned. Here's what you must do."

About three weeks later, the Lakelander comes. Everyone. Even the heir. Then after the funeral, there is a great feast. I'm in my room. But I'm going to "escape" in order to help His Majesty. As soon as I do that, I walk toward the feasting hall. Then I send a bolt of lightning to the chandeliers which fall on Maven, the Nymph Queen, King, and heir. Then the chandeliers light on fire. The entire Lakelander court is dead in seconds. They struggle to escape and defeat the raging flames. Seconds after the firey deaths, a healer bursts in and heals Maven who automatically quench's the flames with the power. The entire Nortan court survived, no doubt knowing of Maven's plans and planning for it.

Now the king is the king of Norta and the Lakelands. The heir died, as did the spare, resulting in Maven getting the throne. His court wanted the rest dead so they would, as Norta, have full control of the Lakelands. That is clearly evident. Slivers like being in control of everything, not subordinate to anyone.

The Arvens enter after the healer, putting my manacles back on. My collar does not return. I did not request this to the king, but it is a welcome change. I am sent back to my room, to rest and relax after a stressful two weeks of death.

When I wake up I feel different. I can't put my finger on it. When I remember what happened previously, I realize it. I don't want to listen to Maven. I don't feel sympathy for Iris, but I do for her sister. I lost a sister too. This strange occurrence felt like a whisper in my head. I committed murder. For Maven. I feel sick. Just because I dislike Iris does not mean I wanted to kill her family and millions of others. They may have blood on their hands but so do I.

The Arvens note my change at dinner. They drag me to Maven. They clearly have orders to bring me to Maven because the Sentinel lets me in Maven's room in seconds. He sees me and puts on a smirk.
"Come here Mare." I don't move. "I see they are right. It did wear off. Well, we can fix that. Samson?" Maven calls him in and the second he pulls off my manacles, Samson slips into my mind. He then hands me that drink. I drink. Then my mind changes. Samson leaves. My manacles come back on. Then Maven gestures to his bedroom, "Won't you come in my room Mare?" I nod and follow him. I as I walk through the door I smile sweetly. I shut the door.