Chapter 15: Mare

Hi there! Like this new chapter? I try to make them longish. Anyway, enjoy! 😈

When Maven walks in a room, I don't know what to expect. It could be anything from a kiss to a beating and I don't know which is worse. Today he just wants to talk. I mentally sigh in relief.

"So, hello Mare. Did you hear about Hestia's new servant? Quite a unique girl, don't you think?"

"Yes, I did. Why did you make Clara her servant? What is your motive in this?" I snap. Maven smirks at me, in complete control.

"Well it wouldn't be much fun if I'd tell you, now would it?" I sigh. I'm getting no where with this. I won't. I've been around Maven long enough to know if I want something not push it. That just makes him more secretive and if I want to know anything in this hellish world I need to work with him. I try something else, something else that I know he'll answer to. As much as I hated learning of this years ago, I need to know what is happening. I can't just be ignorant anymore.

"What about population control?

"Oh that. We shall be sending Reds toward Monfort, to kill the Monfortians." He sounds disinterested.
I'm horrified but alas not surprised. And I thought conscription was bad. Anyone sent to Montfort would no doubt be killed in a matter of days. Cruelty effective. Just like Maven.

I mutter to him, "Who came up with that bright idea?"

"Oh, dear Elara inspired it. But it was mostly me." Of course she did. El is remarkably bright and when I'm allowed at dinner, she keeps suggesting new ideas and new facts that she had/ had learned. My smart girl. Drives Maven insane at the table, it always takes all my willpower not to smirk at him.

He seems to read my thoughts and says "It seems, Mare, that it is time for the weekly day out." I shudder. It's an equivalent to a date in a sense. The only good thing about it is that l have an hour or so free of silent stone.

The rest was awful. It started a couple weeks after I had my kids. Once a week, whenever he wanted, he would have me share a meal with him in his quarters. He would come to my room with an interesting (putting it lightly) dress. Then I would change in front of him and the Arvens. No turning around. If I did, I learned the hard way that the seintels would watch Kitten and Clover slowly force it on me. We eat and normally Maven and I spend sometime together, which he normally uses to make out with me for a while. And I can't do anything about it,  Not my idea of fun.

When my kids were five they would ask me if Maven ever kissed me before, since Maven was there and if I trippped he would kill them, I would say yes and that I enjoyed it. Then the girls would sigh and say one day they hoped someone loved them the way Maven loved me.

That always would get awkward. Maven has an obsession with me, not love. I don't love him and he doesn't truly love me. Maven hands me the box. I open it and sigh. This is going to be a long night.

——————————————————————————-

As soon as I have my manacles back on, I breathe easy. It's funny, how suffocating I used to find them, and now I only feel safe if I have them on. It means Maven will leave me be. It means I can't get a brand. It means no kisses. It means freedom, or what it's equivalent is in a place like this. I start to sleep, but then I remember what today is. It's the day I met Cal. I desperately wanted to save Kilorn, and look what happened. I couldn't even save myself. I start quietly crying, knowing Maven will punish me again if I dare show my sadness aloud. I know he knows what day it is, thanks to the interrogation all those years ago. I cry and cry.

When I wake up, I see Maven here. I curse under my breath. I normally have this reaction, so he automatically hits me. "Today, do you know what it is?" I arch my eyebrow. Of course I do. Years ago, it was Cal's Queenstrial and my bethoral to maven.

"Of course I do," I scoff, "What, planning Queenstrial already?" He almost smirks.

"No, Mare."

"Plotting another death?" I spit. He smacks me again.

"Incorrect. Today is going to be family portrait day. I suggest behaving. I find that far more attractive." I spit at him and of course received a smack. I hate him so very much right now. More than usual.

He hands me a new dress, decked out in jewels, with a high collar and long sleeves and glittery full skirt. "Change," he orders, sitting down in the chair.

I sputter, "Wha-here? Now?"

"Yes, Mare, NOW. And same procedure as last night. No misbehaving." I glare at him. As if wanting some dignity is a bad thing. And then I get smacked on face. I don't even feel them anymore. I quickly get ready, my face flushing as usual. "Good job, my dear," he says smirking at me. He puts out his hand, and I reluctantly hold it. It's second nature now and I don't look bothered by it at all, even though Maven makes my crawl. As we walk, he murmurs harshly, "Smile. And don't stop. If it's a problem, I still have the potion in the lab." I shiver. He doesn't need to tell me twice. The last thing I want is to have that again. When we arrive at the studio, my kids are already there. And I recognize the painter.